Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft close preventing trunk from opening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2020, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430 2004 CL55 AMG
Soft close preventing trunk from opening

Well folks, here's my contribution to the trunk stuck closed victims of the MB world. I apologize for the fact that it's not all one video. I hate that MS no longer includes Movie Maker.

After my CL55 AMG ate my golf clubs I put her in the penalty box till I could reliably use the trunk again. What was happening was the soft close was attempting to close the trunk any time the opening sequence was initiated electrically, which is all the means of opening the trunk. Door switch, key fob, trunk lid button, and yes even the mechanical key. You can't push up on the mechanical key without the electrical switch actuating the pneumatic and hydraulic systems. I did finally get my trunk open by breaking off the back license plate cover and unbolting the button assembly which allowed me to push up on the rod without actuating the electrical switch in the button.

I highly encourage owners of vehicles with this pneumatic soft close system to take one of these preventative measures to ensure your trunk doesn't get stuck closed on you. Regardless you should consider shortening the shaft (less threads showing) on the manual release rod.

1. unplug the electrical switch in the lock mechanism in the trunk
2. disconnect the plunger from the metal lever on the soft close baffle
3. rig up some other way (metal fishing line, cable etc) that allows you to pull up on the metal rod routed into the cabin

Each of these has their disadvantages but all are outweighed by the peace of mind that you'll never have to fear being locked out of your trunk and having to do body damage to get in. I cover the first two and the rod shortening in my videos.

I've linked the first 5 of 23 videos I took of my endeavor. You shouldn't have any problem finding the rest if you're interested. It's a bit of a slow start and I had a little trouble getting the trunk back into it's failed state, but I think there's plenty to be learned despite the shakiness. Enjoy.

Last edited by smutty11; 10-12-2020 at 12:01 PM.