Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP inoperative, and Run flat inoperative won’t start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2020 | 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS 500
ESP inoperative, and Run flat inoperative won’t start

Hi, This is my first post here. I have a 2009 CLS500 W219. My father replaced the battery after the car had sat 3 months, he then started the car for 10 seconds and turned it off. It then came up with ESP inoperative and run flat inoperative and will not start. I checked all fuses (none bad)
l tested all relays (none bad)
I checked steering sensor (good)
I checked brake light switch (good)
I then checked codes with icarsoft cr pro it came up with a comms fault and will not communicate with the ME 9.7 ECU.
I then checked the can-bus from 1 end of the car to the other ( can H to can L 60ohms everywhere I tested) ( can H to ground 2.7 to 3.1v) (can L to 1.9 to 2.4v)
Those reading indicate traffic on the can-bus but still indicating a comma fault.
Can anyone please help?
I can’t really afford a new pre- programmed ECU from Mercedes at the moment.
Old 10-17-2020 | 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by 2009CLS500issue
Hi, This is my first post here. I have a 2009 CLS500 W219. My father replaced the battery after the car had sat 3 months, he then started the car for 10 seconds and turned it off. It then came up with ESP inoperative and run flat inoperative and will not start. I checked all fuses (none bad)
l tested all relays (none bad)
I checked steering sensor (good)
I checked brake light switch (good)
I then checked codes with icarsoft cr pro it came up with a comms fault and will not communicate with the ME 9.7 ECU.
I then checked the can-bus from 1 end of the car to the other ( can H to can L 60ohms everywhere I tested) ( can H to ground 2.7 to 3.1v) (can L to 1.9 to 2.4v)
Those reading indicate traffic on the can-bus but still indicating a comma fault.
Can anyone please help?
I can’t really afford a new pre- programmed ECU from Mercedes at the moment.
When a battery is losing its charge the car starts setting all kinds of faults as comms fail and such. Unlike a car 20 years older that you can just drop in a new battery, reset the clock and you are good to good, with these cars there is more to it. There is a second battery that likely needs to be replaced too. Plus, all the fault codes from all of the many control modules should be cleared out. If any control module is not going to 'sleep' in about 15-20 minutes from the key removed from the ignition then the entire car network of controllers will not go to sleep and will drain the battery quickly. About the only tool that can clear the codes in the SRS controller is the MB DAS.

Lastly, re-confirm the battery cables are making perfect connection to the battery posts. Nothing lose or any sign of corrosion.
Old 10-17-2020 | 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS 500
Originally Posted by machild
When a battery is losing its charge the car starts setting all kinds of faults as comms fail and such. Unlike a car 20 years older that you can just drop in a new battery, reset the clock and you are good to good, with these cars there is more to it. There is a second battery that likely needs to be replaced too. Plus, all the fault codes from all of the many control modules should be cleared out. If any control module is not going to 'sleep' in about 15-20 minutes from the key removed from the ignition then the entire car network of controllers will not go to sleep and will drain the battery quickly. About the only tool that can clear the codes in the SRS controller is the MB DAS.

Lastly, re-confirm the battery cables are making perfect connection to the battery posts. Nothing lose or any sign of corrosion.
I was able to connect and clear all codes on every module in the car except the ME 9.7 ECU. 2009 CLS 500 doesn’t have an aux battery.
Old 10-17-2020 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 209 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by 2009CLS500issue
I was able to connect and clear all codes on every module in the car except the ME 9.7 ECU. 2009 CLS 500 doesn’t have an aux battery.
The battery is holding its charge? Car fully in Park when trying to Start? What exactly happens when you try to start?
Old 10-18-2020 | 05:23 PM

Received 246 Likes on 168 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
If you are able to connect to every single module in the car (30+) and rear/clear codes but not the engine module........ Then that's where you need to look into.
Old 06-08-2023 | 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
mercedez
I apologize for bringing up this old thread. I had a similar issue with my vehicle recently; the ABS, ESP Malfunction, Run Flat Inoperative came out to my dash, I scanned it myself and found out that I had a bad ABS wheel speed sensor. I Immediately purchase and replace the wheel speed sensor myself, reset the code and it works normal now. I came across an in-depth article that may be worth reading. Search for "Run Flat Inoperative. ABS, ESP, Malfunction on Mercedes-Benz on YOUCANIC" and you will see an article that goes over common causes and possible fixes. You can read about it yourself. I hope this information can assist someone else with a similar issue.