Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mbtech208...i drain my slk coolant today but here is the story why i decided to do it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 03:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
mbtech208...i drain my slk coolant today but here is the story why i decided to do it

About six months ago. My car engine temp. rised
from half mark up to the top of the third mark every time when it idle ( at traffic light). I explain to mb tech about it. They hooked it up to the computor diagnosed and indee it was running hot at idle but they said it was still within SPEC.!!!
Well, today i decided to drain my coolant! Take the engine bottom cover out. I un-screw the "orange" plastic screw under the radiator and also remove the radiator cap, out came the old coolant.
I mixed 50% water and 50% MB Ant/fri with one botlle of REDLINE WATER WETTER (SD MB dealer sale this stuff on the counter). I poured about 1 1/2 gallon in and keep toping it off about three time. To my surprised the engine temp. gauge barely move up the half way mark, where before, it went up to the third mark line at idle in traffic. THANK YOU....MBTECH208.
Next project, maybe fuel filter this weekend then flush the brake fluid and replace air dust filter. Now..mbtech208, where is the air dust filter located? It is behind the glove comparment? How many air filter are there? Will it effect the funtioning of the AC or HEATER if not replace when it dirty (of cours YES)?Heh..heh..heh...can't blame me from want to work on my car!!!!! Seriouly...mbtech208, I really apreciated for all the thing you have been helping us. I thank you.
Old 12-01-2001, 03:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
There is one A/C dust filter on the SLK. It is located under the dash on the passenger side of the car. To get to it you must remove the underdash panel on the right side of the car. Once this is removed, the filter is under a long, narrow black plastic cap. The cap is held on by 2 sliding white retainers. Slide the retainers toward both ends of the cap, and the cap comes off. Replacing this filter may not make any noticable difference unless the filter is extremely dirty, in which case you will get higher velocity air out of the vents, not to mention cleaner air. Also replacing the filter can get rid of foul smells in some affected cars.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:18 AM

99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
mbtech208.....Thank you very very much.