Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 AMG GTS not passing CA smog test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2020 | 04:56 AM

2016 AMG GTS
2016 AMG GTS not passing CA smog test

I just recently bought a 2016 AMG GTS at a dealership out of state and attempting to pass smog in California so I can register the car. Unfortunately, it won't pass smog. The smog check report shows OBD II Monitors Not Ready for Evaporative System, Oxygen Sensor Heater, and Oxygen Sensor. Any idea of what I can do to resolve this problem so I can pass smog. Any help greatly appreciated.

Old 12-12-2020 | 04:05 PM

2020 MB E450, 2007 VW GTI
The first sentence of ypur report says that the "vehicles on-board computer system has not completed [?] system's self-check."

After your car is serviced, sometimes just something as simple as having temporarily disconnecting the battery, you may need to do some 'normal' driving so that the computer can learn the current settings. For some cars, you need to perform a particular series of starts-accelerating-braking to reset the settings. I don't know the procedure you would use on a MB car. I would think a service advisor could answer that.
Old 12-12-2020 | 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
As mentioned above, provided there's nothing wrong with your car's emissions systems then you have to complete a proper drive cycle for everything to get ready. If the car has had some work done the monitors can get reset, so you have to drive it in various conditions before they are all ready. In California all monitors except for EVAP have to be ready or you won't pass.

Here's some information that might help:

https://antiochstarsmogcheck.com/is-...d-drive-cycle/