Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GLE AMG 43 Shifting Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2021 | 11:01 PM

GLE AMG 43
GLE AMG 43 Shifting Problem

I have a 2018 GLE AMG 43. Within the last year I have this clunky gear shifting problem. Hard to explain so I put together this video with detailed notes. Six examples of "normal" (working properly) and six examples of when the car doesn't seem to know what gear to go into. There are hesitations and it jerks up or down quickly. It's as if it's lost and I get a short pause where the engine goes quiet and then it jerks up or down into gear again quickly. It's more pronounced in the car than in the video.

First video with multiple examples and notes:

Second video with another bad shift that happened today:

You have to turn up the volume loud to hear the engine. Sometimes you can hear a stutter. There is a point when the RPM drops and there is a quick moment of silence. My foot is on the gas the entire time and nothing is happening. I'm not taking my foot off the gas. It's as if it gets confused and doesn't know what gear to go into. It happens often on uphill slopes but has happened on flat streets also.
Old 02-02-2021 | 09:12 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
This vehicle is still covered by factory warranty, correct? I would bring it to the dealer. Be prepared for a "we couldn't find anything" speech. So bring the videos and anything else to deal with the people.
Old 02-02-2021 | 09:16 PM

GLE AMG 43
Originally Posted by chassis
This vehicle is still covered by factory warranty, correct? I would bring it to the dealer. Be prepared for a "we couldn't find anything" speech. So bring the videos and anything else to deal with the people.
Ha, that already happened! I took it in a few weeks ago, and of course when they took a drive with me I couldn't replicate it. Never fails. They hooked it up to a computer and couldn't find any faults. So I've been recording incidents and have more than what is in the video. I'm taking it in again tomorrow. An expensive sports car like this should not do this at all, at any temperature. I told them corporate is going to make this right if they can't fix it. I'm not taking this car back if it's not fixed. Yes, it's still covered by warranty.

Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-02-2021)