Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

722.9 transmission downshift to 3rd.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2021 | 01:07 AM

E430
722.9 transmission downshift to 3rd.

My car w164 ML350 has the 7 speed trans, Shifts smooth and all that. But i hate how it shifts after low speed. For example, I come in a roundabout when i exit the car stays in 4th. I wanna exit in 3rd cause then it's not too high rpm but still pretty quick back to 60 mph.

if i exit and push the throttle little more it goes to 2nd gear. Which is way to high rpm and too fast acceleration.. is there a way to program this? BESIDE using the shifting in the steering wheel

i want the car itself to downshift automaticlly to 3rd at low speed.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 08:20 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Icelandicbenz19
My car w164 ML350 has the 7 speed trans, Shifts smooth and all that. But i hate how it shifts after low speed. For example, I come in a roundabout when i exit the car stays in 4th. I wanna exit in 3rd cause then it's not too high rpm but still pretty quick back to 60 mph.

if i exit and push the throttle little more it goes to 2nd gear. Which is way to high rpm and too fast acceleration.. is there a way to program this? BESIDE using the shifting in the steering wheel

i want the car itself to downshift automaticlly to 3rd at low speed.
The 7G my view is generally poor. It gets the job done but only just.

Downshifting while coasting with no throttle is the worst situation for the 7G. 4–>3 is clunky as you mention.

My solution is to use paddles and sport mode nearly 100% of the time, including for downshifting. It’s a different way to drive.

The 7G performs almost acceptably when it is flogged with medium to heavy throttle. Sport mode helps, comfort mode is ridiculous on a W166 GLE.

The 7G is not a great box. The ZF 8HP on the other hand is everything a modern automatic transmission should be. Too bad Mercedes doesn’t use it.
biker349 (02-12-2021)
Old 02-12-2021 | 09:01 AM

E430
Originally Posted by chassis
The 7G my view is generally poor. It gets the job done but only just.

Downshifting while coasting with no throttle is the worst situation for the 7G. 4–>3 is clunky as you mention.

My solution is to use paddles and sport mode nearly 100% of the time, including for downshifting. It’s a different way to drive.

The 7G performs almost acceptably when it is flogged with medium to heavy throttle. Sport mode helps, comfort mode is ridiculous on a W166 GLE.

The 7G is not a great box. The ZF 8HP on the other hand is everything a modern automatic transmission should be. Too bad Mercedes doesn’t use it.

I don't have sport mode I hate using the paddles which is why i want the transmission to automaticly downshift to 3rd exiting a roundabout, it will only go in 3rd if i go really slow in it, like way to slow. And if i exit the roundabout and push the throttle little too much, it shifts to 2nd which i don't like. 3rd gear is best, medium throttle and good acceleration.😀

but i agree i'm alread disliking this transmission😂

my old w210 e430 and my current volvo V50 t5 both have better Automatic than this Benz
chassis (02-12-2021)