Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GLS63 (X166) Alignment Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 01:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLS 63
Exclamation GLS63 (X166) Alignment Issues

Hey all I'd like to get some insight on to what might be the issue with the trucks alignment.

Driving at speed the truck pulls to the right. It's not a gradual drift it is almost an immediate pull. I went and got it aligned at Firestone by one of their techs that has been there for 20 years and is the only one they let work on these cars.

I've attached the alignment report and a video clip for you to check out.

The tires are all new with <500 miles on them. Aside from the alignment I also swapped the front out side to side to see if that would remedy the pull. It did not so now I'm thinking a suspension issue.

Any ideas you can provide on where I should look next would be very helpful.

Appreciate the assistance.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Alignment Drift.mov (1.39 MB, 14 views)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,950 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Excessive camber is causing your problem. The shop didn't change your camber setting. The camber difference on both axles as shown on the data sheet you posted will steer you to the right.

Did you have an impact or damage on the right side of the vehicle? Ask them to equalize camber on left and right sides. If it's not possible then you have damaged suspension components.

Do you have vibration at speed? What is the situation with your tires?

Old 03-12-2021, 11:18 PM

2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by chassis
Excessive camber is causing your problem. The shop didn't change your camber setting. The camber difference on both axles as shown on the data sheet you posted will steer you to the right.

Did you have an impact or damage on the right side of the vehicle? Ask them to equalize camber on left and right sides. If it's not possible then you have damaged suspension components.

Do you have vibration at speed? What is the situation with your tires?
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn’t sure if what I had would throw it off enough to cause the drift but I guess I’m wrong.

There’s been no damage that I’m aware of so for now I’ll rule that out. No vibration either except around a 75 it feels a little less smooth. Before is good and faster is fine though. The tires are brand new all around and as stated previously, swapping didn’t change anything so I don’t think it’s a tire issue. I think I’ll do as suggested and ask them to match up my left and right camber and start there. If it doesn’t work I’ll have to diagnose where the issue is with my suspension.

Last edited by Mapkos13; 03-12-2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 11:20 PM

2018 GLS 63
Out of curiosity does anyone know the spec and their allowable variance for camber from Mercedes on these?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 11:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,950 Likes on 3,108 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Mapkos13
Out of curiosity does anyone know the spec and their allowable variance for camber from Mercedes on these?
Post your VIN and someone can look it up for you. Also try searching this site. I would be surprised if it’s not here somewhere.