Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 E350 RWD 722.9 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 04:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 E350
2013 E350 RWD 722.9 Transmission Issues

Hi All,
My sedan has 85k miles, and perfect maintenance record. I had it checked out by a qualified MB indy mechanic before purchase last year.
Within the first 150 miles, I had had my coolant temp soar to MAX, so the car was immediately stopped and towed.
The cause? The trany oil cooler in the coolant radiator developed a leak and theh engine coolant was forced into the transmission.
Now I have what I think is not so much a hard shifting issue, but a slipping in 5 to 7th gears. It feels like running over rumble strips constanting, yet the pavement is smooth.
I presume this was damage done when the engine coolant entered the transmission. The friction discs material was damaged.
The trnasmission was flushed 3 times. , but no change.
I am guessing that a total overhaul or replacement is in my near future.
Anybody have this experience?
Old 03-31-2021, 05:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Coolant in the transmission is problematic.

The friction surfaces of all clutches and brakes have been contaminated and the hydraulic control system has as well. It might be chasing issues endlessly or require a new transmission. Definitely get multiple opinions.

Last edited by chassis; 03-31-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 05:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 E350
Coolant in Transmission

I agree, Chassis, I am allso wondering if my Xentry Star C4 will capture live engine rpm, shift points, vehicle speed,to confirm where the fault lies.
If my rpms are fluctuating in a particular gear, it might indication friction disc slipping. Maybe it doesn't matter but it would be interesting to know if this function exists in Xentry.
So far, I can't find it.
Thank you.

The following users liked this post:
chassis (03-31-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 07:25 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,983 Likes on 3,130 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by WhathaveIdone
I agree, Chassis, I am allso wondering if my Xentry Star C4 will capture live engine rpm, shift points, vehicle speed,to confirm where the fault lies.
If my rpms are fluctuating in a particular gear, it might indication friction disc slipping. Maybe it doesn't matter but it would be interesting to know if this function exists in Xentry.
So far, I can't find it.
Thank you.
Yes, let’s say the slipping can be identified. Then what? It’s not unheard of on this site to replace the conductor plate. What if that isn’t the root cause? The clutch packs, 7 of them if I recall from memory, would all need to be changed if you want to be certain of starting from a clean slate. Seems to me like a replacement transmission would be a better idea that trying to rebuild it yourself. There is a 7G rebuild thread on this site if you want to see what’s involved.

Since you have changed fluid three times I’m not sure what the next inexpensive step could be.