Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help on sunroof disassembly!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 C240 Tectite
Exclamation Need your help on sunroof disassembly!!

Please, if anybody has EPC or knows how to do this, I need to remove my sunroof cuz it's all fugged up now. I was putting my hockey sticks in the car and gently hit the sliding cover. I didn't check it out cuz it was a weak hit and there was no damage or tape marks so I went my way.

What I did't know is that the cover popped out of the sliding tracks, now when I opened my sunroof the whole rubber/plastic part on the side crunched up against the sliding cover.

Nothing is really broken, the rubber and plastic part that are glued to the side are dangling from the sunroof, and there is no way to put it back without removing the glass part.. please if anyone has a picture of the sunroof assembly I would really appreciate it

The car is a C240 and out of the mb warranty

Thanks!
Old 09-12-2004, 11:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Well lets start by stating this firmly, EVEN IF IT STILL HAD WARRANTY, IT WOULD NOT BE COVERED. You broke the car, it didn't fall apart. There was no manufacturing defect, it was broken by outside influence. I get caught in the middle of these arguments all the time, would be nice if word got out that benz doesn't pay for "ooops I broke its".....
That said, try to slide the sunshade back, try to pop up the roof with the button, so the rear is sticking up above the roof. Pull the rubber accordians out, they just snap in and out. You will then expose the torx head screws that hold the glass in. Don't take them out yet.... Scribe the sunroof mounting flanges outline on to the lifting bridges. You will see what I mean when you get there. It makes reinstalling a breeze with little or no adjustment required, and adjusting a sunroof can be a pain. They will jam up sometimes when they are really far out of whack. Have fun!
Old 09-12-2004, 12:02 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Well lets start by stating this firmly, EVEN IF IT STILL HAD WARRANTY, IT WOULD NOT BE COVERED. You broke the car, it didn't fall apart. There was no manufacturing defect, it was broken by outside influence. I get caught in the middle of these arguments all the time, would be nice if word got out that benz doesn't pay for "ooops I broke its".....
That said, try to slide the sunshade back, try to pop up the roof with the button, so the rear is sticking up above the roof. Pull the rubber accordians out, they just snap in and out. You will then expose the torx head screws that hold the glass in. Don't take them out yet.... Scribe the sunroof mounting flanges outline on to the lifting bridges. You will see what I mean when you get there. It makes reinstalling a breeze with little or no adjustment required, and adjusting a sunroof can be a pain. They will jam up sometimes when they are really far out of whack. Have fun!
ok, The accordian rubber thingie is the thing that came off put it is still attached to the base of the sunroof, this is the part I need to put back into place, when you say the rubber thing can just snap out, should I pull on the rubber part still attached to the sunroof cuz I tried pulling but it seems to be glued or attached there.....

thanks for your quick reply
Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 PM

It may be glued.... Sometimes we glue them to get them to stay in place. It should just come right out of there though..... They can usually be reassembled if they fall apart, and I think they are cheap if you break them. Sounds like you will be going to the dealer anyways to get at least one replacement part.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:00 PM

2001 C240 Tectite
Yes, I believe they glued it into place, I'll go talk to my advisor because the other side is not glued, it's a snap on, but I brought the car a year ago because it was popping out and they said they'd replaced it but I guess they glued it in place.... Do you know if it's a separate part for each side or if I have to buy the whole assembly? thanks
Old 09-12-2004, 02:08 PM

sunshade, and accordians should all be available separately. Many parts on the cars are available separately. The ML is the only one I can think of that may give a challenge when it comes to getting individual parts.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
how about some pictures Narcissus?

Eric