Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Brake Pad!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Help Brake Pad!!!

just got a call from my service guy and he said that i need new brake pads and rotors.....and that it gonna cost me $560.....

i thought the rotors can last through two brake pads....i have yet to change anything on the brakes.....i have a 99 clk430 and about 34,000 miles on them....is this normal????
Old 05-14-2002, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Rotors generally last thru 2 sets of pads but not always. Depends on your driving habits and the type of pads you have if not MB pads. I would have them "mike" the rotors in front of you and be prepared by having the minimum thickness with you.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 Lexus GS300 RWD, '07 Camry SE V6 auto, '91 190E 2.6 auto
Is your warranty over? Are rotors considered a "wear" item, since they do just that?
Old 05-15-2002, 01:11 PM

CLK 430
yeah i am still under warranty but the rotors are considered wear items and thus i must pay for them....

the quote from rusnak is $460 for the front two.....

i'll keep you guys posted on the progress

i also told the service rep that lately my car has had rough idling problems and when the car is not at operating temperature there is a clanking noise coming from the bottom of the car when i accelerate......

we'll see what the tech guys tell me today as i will be picking up my car later today.....
Old 05-15-2002, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
34K on rotors/pads could be normal depending on how and what kind of driving you do...aggressive vs. passive, city vs. highway, mountain twisty roads vs. straight flat roads, etc. All the same things that affect tire wear. If your rotors measure below the limit think about some after market drilled rotors and pad combinations. A pleasant side effect is major brake dust reduction. As a point of reference on the wear, I replaced the stock pads with Porterfield pads because of excessive dust at 21K miles...and the stock pads still had 80% left on them. The rotors were worn about .0015" on each face though.
Old 05-17-2002, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post Brake Pad Replacement

Why not do the Job yourself? And buy porterfield pads and rotors from another source other than the dealer? You WILL save some bucks !!! The Porterfield pads work great better stopping and a lot less Dust!And research some rotors (crossdrilled) for better cooling and Better Price!

Try EVOSPORT or AUTOWERKESEXPRESS or Performance Products
They All are Very good and will have the Goods

Give it a Try!
Old 05-17-2002, 05:47 PM

CLK 430
good advice...thanks....but it was too late for this time around....maybe when i have to change the rears i'll have some aftermarket stuff put on cuz the brake dust really is annoying....

the service went well except for one thing....the service rep told me that rusnak does not put mobil 1 in the car unless i pay extra....is that true????

i realize that i have a 99 clk 430 and maintenence is not covered but them not putting in mobil 1 as standard???

any thoughts??

they told me that their normal oil is castrol synthetic.....
Old 05-17-2002, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Thumbs up OIL CHANGES

Go BUY a TOPSIDER oil change kit from a BOAT store and do the OIL CHANGE YOURSELF!! It WILL give you PEACE of mind Also you wont have to raise the car to remove the splash pans to drain the oil...Also buy a oil filter socket from the dealer (it fits better) Give it a TRY!