Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CL600 - Electrical problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porsches, Merc's, Audi's and my cherished collection of classics
CL600 - Electrical problems

Hey all,

First post here and hoping i can get put in the right direction.

I have had a fault on the CL which has meant that the rear windows fail to open/close at all. I couldnt find any trouble with any fuses so thought the brains may have been affected. I have had a number of low voltage scenario's where the battery has had to be trickle charged to bring it back up to voltage. Sometimes, such a low voltage to prevent cranking of the motor.

So, after digging around, i decided to pull the battery and leave it off for approx 15 mins. When i returned and wired it back up, the windows finally worked without any problems. The car started fine and all seemed well.

Anyways, the following day i wanted to take it for a drive. On starting, i got 2 malfunctions: "BAS - visit workshop" & "ESP - Visit workshop" while the ABS light came on (but extinguished after a brief drive later) and no way of rectifying the faults.

I took it for a drive hoping the reset simply turned off the systems and thinking they would come back on but it didnt happen. The beast drove fine even tho the faults refused to go away. To make matters worse, the rear windows refuse to work yet again!

What do i do now? Is there a reset to the above systems? Clearly this happened after i pulled the battery, but i am unsure how to sort this out.

Any advice will be gratefuly appreciated.

Regards

Popolou

PS - i remember doing a system reset on the mute-1-3 menu in the command system. Was that a mistake?

Last edited by Popolou; 09-18-2004 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Nothing serious really.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:19 AM

- Update -

Ok, i did the whole procedure once again and re-sync'd the windows, roof and ESP which seemed to rid the problem of the malfunctions.

But, i still have the rear window faults which leads me back to square one!

I noticed that the moment i replaced the battery and tried the windows, the rear worked once again. The nearside rear window, however seems to stagger when opening but moved smoothly when closing up. Then, when i performed the sync, the rear windows decided not to work at all once again!

Is there something i am missing? Whatever could be going on??

Regards
Old 09-18-2004, 08:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
What year is the car? If its a 215 chassis I would strongly suspect the RCM. It controls both rear windows, and on earlier cars we had a bunch fail. I think its under the back seat somewhere...
Old 09-18-2004, 11:55 AM

Its a 2000-2001 model. Can you say what RCM stands for, what it does and where is it? Would i find it in the rear fuse panel? How can something like this fail pretty much without use?

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards
Old 09-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
It definitely is a module problem. There are a few modules that may be in question. This problem usually results when the battery is hooked to a charger without first being unhooked from the vehicle.

By the way, the RCM module is under the rear seats. The rear seat bottom (don't remember which side) gets removed and the membrane gets pealed back to reveal the modules location.

Todays MB's are full of sensitive electrical components. Charging the battery with the battery still hooked into the cars electrical system many times will start to blow components.

ALWAYS unhook one or both of the battery cables before charging !

Now, the only way to full diagnose this problem is to take you car to the dealer so that they can diagnose it with the Star Diag system.
Old 09-20-2004, 10:24 AM

I would like to thank you all for your assistance on the matter. It is much appreciated.

Regards

Popolou