Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WIS / EPC / purchase or online access?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2022 | 11:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'14 MB GL450, '14 Audi Allroad
WIS / EPC / purchase or online access?

New guy here. Just picked up a 2014 GL450 last week. Really like it except for the random misfire that popped up this weekend that I'm working through.

I have an Alldata DIY subscription for my vehicles, but I've noticed it a little lacking for our Audi, so I'm curious if it is similar on the MB. I see that WIS is the Mercedes service manual solution, and mention of resellers on eBay. Not sure I trust those. I've seen mention of subscriptions ranging from $10 to $hundreds per month, as well as various links.

Can anybody share their experience with WIS and maybe an official link? I'm having a hard time picking it out of the noise. Also, EPC for parts lookup? Link? Is EPS free or does it subscription based also?

Lastly, what OBD2 scanner is everyone using. I need to get a legit one for the MB and my wife's Audi. I've been leaning towards the Autel MaxDas DS808TS, if I can find an authorized seller for it. Nobody seems to have it. I want one with all the bells and whistles, real time data, etc.
Old 04-04-2022 | 08:33 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

Received 4,032 Likes on 3,168 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
WIS/ASRA/EPC is the combined system for service procedures and parts catalog. Choose the ebay vendor with the most reviews.

Buying from ebay requires computer savvy to set up. Many steps but it's doable.

mbparts.mbusa.com uses the official MB parts database but the navigation is less precise than EPC. EPC is preferred.

For scanners, message user benzninja and he can explain about XENTRY, the dealer level diagnostic system. Or users on this site speak well of the icarsoft MB 2 if you don't want to go the XENTRY route.