Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C180 (W203) & E270CDI (W211) Reliability & Selling Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 (W203) & E270CDI (W211)
Question C180 (W203) & E270CDI (W211) Reliability & Selling Advice

Hey everyone,

I hope this post is in the right sub-forum - I did do my best to place it, but if it is incorrect, if a mod could please shift it, I'd be most grateful.

As the title suggests, I presently have two Mercedes: a C180 (W203) 2001 year & a E270CDI (W211) 2005 year. Unfortunately the time has come for me to let one of them go, but I am torn as to which one I should sell.

The C180 (W203) is in perfect order, likewise with the E270CDI (W211). Both vehicles have always been serviced and repaired by official Mercedes dealers and service centres since their purchase when they were both demo models in the early 2000s. The W203 has only ever had the major faults of a failing alternator and a wheel ball joint. The W211 has had, sadly, pretty much every single problem that is listed under the general fault expectations of the pre-facelift model, from the Valeo radiator leaks, to SBC braking and everything in between - but every repair and every part has been replaced, much to my wallet's distress, over the years, and at least, at present, the car is in great order.

Recently, which prompted an alteration to my finances, the E270CDI (W211) had one of its front air-matic shock absorbers collapse and the official replacement cost about $2500 sadly. But given that it is now replaced and the car is working again, I am torn as to which car to let go. I think the E270CDI is the better car, if for nothing else other than the engine, but I am scared that there are 3 more air-matic shocks waiting to give up the ghost, as it were, amongst other things I might not know about... but I suppose the same could be said about the W203 - both vehicles have about 240,000km on the clock.

If any knowledgeable and sage forum members could dispense some great wisdom as to which might be the best choice to sell and which one to keep, it would be infinitely valuable to me in making this decision in the next week or two. If there's any additional information I could give that might help inform your assistance, please do let me know and I will relay everything that I am able.

Thank you all so much for your time and Mercedes dedication and enthusiasm!

Kind regards.