Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help me with my 1979 MB 409 Doka

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 Mercedes Benz 409 Doka Truck
Please Help me with my 1979 MB 409 Doka

Hello & thank you for reading this, it is a bit long, I'm sorry bout that.

I have a 1979 MB 409 Doka, that was brought over from Germany, I am trying to find out how often I should adjust the valves, and to what setting. I'm also trying to find out the best viscosity oil to use in the engine, (I'm currently using 10-40 Castrol), as well as the type of oil to use in the differential and Transmission.

The Engine number on this four cylinder gasoline powered truck is Model Number : 115 952 10 , very close to the 1974-77 MB 230 which is a "115 951" I think that the engines are the same, other than mine is for industrial use, can anyone out there confirm this?

I am also wondering if anyone out there knows a good distributor upgrade for this engine. Right now I have the factory 0231 170 116 distributor and would like to upgrade to a non vaccuum advance, like the 009's. Since this MB weighs in at around 5,400lbs and has an 85hp engine, I would also like to instal a Pertronix electronic Ignition, as well as the Pertronix 40,000 volt coil in order to get the most efficiency out of this engine as possible. I contacted Pertronix and they make a kit for the 230's, but said that my particular distributor was skipped over, hence I need a distributor upgrade which is compatible w/ Pertronix. The Pertronix kit that I think will fit is the "1847V". Any help or information on this truck or engine would be greatly appreciated.

I recently was unable to find a replacement airfilter for this MB, so I ended up building a cold air intake and fitting it w/ a K&N air filter, I did notice a bit of improvement on the fuel consumption, as well as the power. With an engine that is taxed to this extent, every little bit of improvement is very noticeable.

If there is anyone out there who has tuned a 1974-77 230, or has any suggestions for me, I would love to hear your thoughts or stories as well as any performance results that you have learned. Thank you so much for your time, All the best-Cole