Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

synthetic vs reg. oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 11:13 PM

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
E Coupe C207, ML W166, ML W164, Sprinter 1500/144, W111 SB220 Fintail(s), A5 chassis Beetle 5+5
I agree with the above post.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=3;t=001774
Old 10-06-2004, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by wizkid
Check it out http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
But I have $$ in my motor and I don't want to be walking over a cheap oil change.

Eric
www.installuniversity.com
its not a matter of money, or a "cheap oil change", its about what physical properties each has to offer and if there really is some bad qualities to synthetics.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
Originally Posted by pa28pilot
This is good advice, but even on the BitOG board, I have some concerns. For example, it's not at all clear to me that there are meaningful data to be had from everyone's posted analysis reports. My experience in the aviation environment suggests that used oil analysis is really only meaningful in the context of trend monitoring within the context of one brand of oil, used in one car, with all tests done by one analysis shop. Change any of those parameters, and meaningful comparisons go out the window.

Cars appear to be different only in that any lab can tell you if you have glycol (antifreeze) in your oil, which is abnormal. Any more precision than that would seem to hinge on the consistency I described above.
I don't presume to have anywhere near the experience or knowledge that some of you other posters have. However, a number of years ago I led a team of analysts who were developing software for the Navy to use in its submarine force to monitor and plan maintenance. They were especially concerned with predicting failures so that maintenance could be performed while in port rather than experiencing a failure while on patrol. Remember that they stayed submerged for 60 days while on patrol. Among other things, they were concerned with the trend and with threshold alert levels. From the trend, engineers could do a projection and compute a probability of failure within a certain time period and schedule a maintenance action. If contaminants or metal particles reached a specified threshhold level, regardless of the trend, they would also schedule an action. Of course, they collected a lot of information in addition to oil analysis in their database which was used for decision-making.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Interesting... I am sometimes contracted to analyze the contaminants and metal particles in the oil for submarines.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E500
I understand that many of these techniques have now been implemented on the surface fleet also -- at least for mission critical machinery.