Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY - (2012, Coupe)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY (2012)
E 350 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY - (2012, Coupe)

Hi all, apologies for this being my first post, and asking detailed questions, but I am a MB fan! (I also have a E320 from 2008) (Also, apols if this is in the wrong thread place?)

Short version! Wife's car broke down with what looks like electrical problems (Cut out, wouldn't turn over) - I had it recovered locally, to a 'not-my-normal' trusted garage, as he's on holiday. It took them a day to work out the swirl motor was blowing fuses (They think, though doesn't sound 100% sure). They also found two of the injectors leaking.
Looks like oil is coming out of where the turbo joins the inlet - that orange seal - and has leaked on the 'Inlet Port Shut-Off Motor', causing it to fail and short the fuse out(?).

They are quoting £850 to reseal the two injectors and replace the motor. (1st question - 2hrs for injector fix, 4hrs for motor swap - sounds too much? any guidelines here?)

After binging on YouTube (I know) it looks like the oil may be being caused by the PCV failing, not closing properly, and engine oil being blown through the air intake into the turbo - does this sound correct?
The garage may not know this, and haven't mentioned PCV replacement, or replacing the orange seal.

2nd Question - I can see that a replacement motor, PCV, and both PCV and Turbo orange seal will be around £250 - which I'm tempted to have a go myself; I'm in IT, and not a mechanic, but do you think I should give it a go? The alternative is limping to my nearest trusted MB mechanic (Mercland in Nuneaton). The current place are also seeing no stock in these motors, so it will be a few days either way.

Any advice gratefully received - including "Don't be bonkers, let a garage do it!!"

Thanks all!

Paul.