Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ML350 30mph Rumble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
2011 ML350 30mph Rumble

Hello I just purchased a 2011 ML350 4matic (104,000) full service records from MB, garage kept, and in show room condition. Leaving my neighborhood the past 2 days I noticed a rumble at 20-30mph as I roll out the the main road. I can replicate the sound again as I pull out and roll at 30 mph but as I accelerate it goes away. I can get it to replicate at 20mph driving in a straight line. Shifter into neutral the sound remains as I roll. I put it on the lift and turned the front wheels back and forth and I noticed a click/play in the transfer case, is this normal? I am not sure if it's tanny or transfer case related because this thing shifts so smooth and quietly. Now the tires are a bit on the low side and the previous owner has a newer threaded tired on the right rear and the fronts felt a little cupped when I had it on the lift. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, new to the MB life.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:38 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,933 Likes on 3,097 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Jasonike
Hello I just purchased a 2011 ML350 4matic (104,000) full service records from MB, garage kept, and in show room condition. Leaving my neighborhood the past 2 days I noticed a rumble at 20-30mph as I roll out the the main road. I can replicate the sound again as I pull out and roll at 30 mph but as I accelerate it goes away. I can get it to replicate at 20mph driving in a straight line. Shifter into neutral the sound remains as I roll. I put it on the lift and turned the front wheels back and forth and I noticed a click/play in the transfer case, is this normal? I am not sure if it's tanny or transfer case related because this thing shifts so smooth and quietly. Now the tires are a bit on the low side and the previous owner has a newer threaded tired on the right rear and the fronts felt a little cupped when I had it on the lift. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, new to the MB life.
Sounds like propshaft rumble. Can be caused by worn out flex couplings, center bearing mount or CV/u-joints.

Also sounds like vehicle is not well maintained. Recommend getting caught up on all specified maintenance. It will eat your wallet alive otherwise.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-13-2022)
Old 08-12-2022, 01:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ML350
Thanks for the info. I have all the service records and it appears to have been maintained very well. The reason for the new tire was a leak and they only replaced the one.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jasonike:
biker349 (08-13-2022), chassis (08-12-2022)