Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M113 Stumble on throttle till 1800 rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK500
M113 Stumble on throttle till 1800 rpm

Hey guys, I haven't been in here in awhile. This would be a general question about the M113 motor and how it works. The car starts and idles fine. Put it in gear and try to go it tries to die and sometimes does. If you put your foot all the way down it will continue to sputter and move until it reaches about 1800 rpm, then it takes off like nothing is wrong. It will do this for any gear, so running in manual mode right now and keeping it above 2k rpm to get around.
A little back story. When this started I had pulled out to pass a truck and put my foot down. It literally did nothing for a second or 2 and then took off, again, like nothing was wrong. I've since cleaned my injectors, changed spark plugs and flushed the transmission.
My thoughts are leaning towards the intake vacuum system. I did a little reading and found something to do with the intake restricting air around 1750rpm via the vacuum system and a valve (?) inside the intake (plenum) itself.
Any ideas are welcome, I just don't have the knowledge to diagnose this properly. If I am posting this in the wrong area I'm sorry, there is not a strictly M113 area in the forum that I can find.
Thanks again for any and all input.

John-aka Skyward
2005 CLK 500 Cab

Last edited by SkywardOne; 08-31-2022 at 07:17 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Hi Skyward,

Take a look at this thread. Sounds like it could be your issue:

M113 Crankcase Vacuum Hoses and Intake Manifold Warning! | Mercedes-Benz Forum (benzworld.org)

All the Best with it,

Acta
The following users liked this post:
SkywardOne (09-05-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 12:45 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Skyward,

M113 Crankcase Vacuum Hoses and Intake Manifold Warning! | Mercedes-Benz Forum (benzworld.org)

All the Best with it,

Acta
Thank you! I'll check it out.
Old 09-05-2022, 12:52 PM

CLK500
That's what I was thinking was the problem. Last week I ordered the intake gaskets and the vacuum kit that includes the crank case breather hoses and other vacuum lines. Should be here this week. I'll be pulling the intake plenum and cracking open the case so I can clean any gummed up flaps and installing a new hose out of the bottom of the intake. I've seen it done before and think it's something I can handle over a weekend.
The other option if this fails due to my own ignorance is to get a used plenum, which I've already found plenty of on Ebay. I'll post back here when I do it and leave some picks and my results.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:58 PM

CLK500
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Hi Skyward,

All the Best with it,

Acta
I did a quick fix using some new vacuum hose and heat shrink. Removed secondary air injection pump to get better access to the broken hose, butted up the 2 hoses and heat shrink magic makes it work for the short term.

Old 09-05-2022, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 877 Likes on 452 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
Very Nice!

You'll get this solved. I, for one, would like to see you bring it back to life. I'll be watching for the good news!

Best,

Acta
The following users liked this post:
SkywardOne (09-06-2022)