Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK 5 G gearbox issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55AMG Kompressor
CLK 5 G gearbox issue

Hi all, i have a 2002 CLK240 with the 5G gearbox.

The issue is in S mode when pulling away it jerks quite badly when changing from 1st into 2nd gear the engine revs increasing before 2nd engages, when i slow sufficiently enough for it to select 1st gear it jerks/thumps back into it.
If i drive it in W mode so it takes off in 2nd gear there is no problem so i suspect its safe to assume the issue is with 1st gear, now for some reason or another back in March this year it started to work perfectly ok, i had 4 days and around 700 miles of trouble free driving in S pulling away in 1st with no issues what so ever then it reverted back to how it was??
No transmission fault codes.
Ive changed the fluid, the filter, the electrical plug and conductor plate too (just in case) and its no different, the fluid was brand new so i assume previous owner tried this too.

I also own a CL55 kompressor and have been looking into changing gearbox solenoids to speed up the gear changes, a lot of talk was that some people dont like the harsher, faster changes, now this got me thinking, if its the solenoids that make gearchanges harsher would a defective 1st gear solenoid be the cause of the gearbox problem in my CLK?

Its not a particularly a difficult job and the hardest part of changing it/them would be getting the dam car in the air as i dont have access to a ramp but i dont want to do it and find its a waste of time......

Any thoughts???