Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should Dealer Charge Diagnoses Fee on CPO Cars?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GLA45
Angry Should Dealer Charge Diagnoses Fee on CPO Cars?

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum. I just purchased a CPO 2016 AMG GLA45 back in August. After a month of ownership, I notice three issues:
1. Brakes pulsating with noise a highway speed (the brake force is adequate though, and there is relatively decent amount of pads and rotor left)
2. Squeaking noise from the steering column
3. The first button underneath my recaro seat (driver side) seems not working properly. It is making sound, but nothing happens when pressing the button.
I purchased this car CPO from a dealer that is 30 minutes away (MB of Alexandria), but decide to go to my nearest MB dealer (MB of Silver Spring) for diagnosis and repair. However, after i describe these problems, the service guy was saying: CPO might not cover this... CPO might not cover that... you should bring the car back to the dealer you purchase from...blablabla... And most importantly, they said they need to charge me a diagnose fee of 190 dollars since the car is out of the original warranty.

I feel this is unreasonable since my limit CPO warranty suppose to cover most problems during the first year. My last car was a certified Cadillac ATS-V and I never have to pay a diagnose fee when I brought the car to the dealer.
So my question is: Does all Mercedes Dealer charge a diagnose fee for CPO cars? Is this dealer trying to rip me off? I appreciate your help! Thanks!
Old 09-16-2022, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 523 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
sounds sketchy and why is car not under original OEM warranty if you just bought it?

I think all CPO should have at least 1 year left on the oem warranty then you get 1 year CPO warranty
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (09-19-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GLA45
Originally Posted by ygmn
sounds sketchy and why is car not under original OEM warranty if you just bought it?

I think all CPO should have at least 1 year left on the oem warranty then you get 1 year CPO warranty
The car is 2016 so i think the oem warranty definitely ran out. However, the CPO warranty just started and I don't think I should pay that diagnose fee.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:20 PM
SPONSOR

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
2001 E55AMG
I'm not surprised, if you are not going to have the work done at that dealership, then they have to get something for their time. Your issues are the problem with the ELW CPO warranty from MB, in the business, it is considered "second tier" level of coverage. He is actually helping you by suggesting you go back to the original selling dealership because they may take care of the repairs not covered under the CPO warranty in good faith. Dealerships will make all sorts of promises about their warranty coverage if they know it will guarantee a sale, so do not blame yourself for the confusion of coverage.

If you'd like to see top tier coverage from both of our providers Freedom Warranty and Fidelity, you can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 or I just need your current milage to get you pricing here.
Old 09-16-2022, 04:23 PM
SPONSOR

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by ygmn

OP's Factory warranty would have expired in 2020, you can purchase the CPO warranty if you are still under factory warranty correct, but it goes into effect after the factory expires. Because OP is within the 7 years of ELW eligibility they qualified for a year of CPO from a MB dealer, they were able to get the 1 year CPO, but after this CPO expires, their only option will be 3rd party coverage.
Old 09-19-2022, 08:54 AM

Received 146 Likes on 121 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
Originally Posted by TrafficJam@MB
Does all Mercedes Dealer charge a diagnose fee for CPO cars?
I had a fair amount of work done to my car under the CPO warranty, by a local dealer from which I did not purchase the car. I was never charged a diagnostic fee for any work done under warranty. I can sort of understand them charging a diagnostic fee after-the-fact, if the diagnosis reveals a problem that is not covered by the CPO warranty, but I don't see why you should be charged a fee up front, without evening knowing whether the problem is covered.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 523 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
I thought all CPO had 1 year factory warranty left as minimum or MB would not make the car a CPO...

Oh well...