Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 R350 4matic, only one out of 3 cam adjuster marks out of alignment.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2022, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
2009 R350 4matic, only one out of 3 cam adjuster marks out of alignment.

I've been struggling with the p0016 and p0017 codes forever. I have changed out to new magnets and sensors twice, which would fix it temporarily or intermittently. I'm guessing the timing was close enough that it was able to occasionally compensate.

Today I pulled all 4 cam sensors to check alignment. Only 1 of them is off from center when the engine is rotated to 305 degrees.

Did only one sprocket skip a tooth? The pic was hard to take so even though the good three may not look perfectly aligned, they are. It's just the angle.

How can I fix this? Can I get slack in the chain and rotate that one sprocket back over a tooth?

What was likely to cause this? Tensioner? Secondary tensioner? Sprocket teeth look great from what I can see through the oil filler cap.

The attached pic shows bank 1 on left, bank 2 on right. Just like you were looking at the front of the motor.