Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Hard-On for Automatic Transmissions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2023, 04:49 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Mercedes Hard-On for Automatic Transmissions

I don't think there is any auto maker that likes automatic transmissions more than Mercedes-Benz. I'm not even sure the last time Mercedes offered any model with any manual transmission as even an option in the United States.

Why... just why. SO many of their cars would be infinitely better with a manual transmission, why do they do it?! Do wealthy people not by manual transmissions?
Old 01-05-2023, 05:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,523 Likes on 2,146 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
I don't think there is any auto maker that likes automatic transmissions more than Mercedes-Benz. I'm not even sure the last time Mercedes offered any model with any manual transmission as even an option in the United States.

Why... just why. SO many of their cars would be infinitely better with a manual transmission, why do they do it?! Do wealthy people not by manual transmissions?
It is not that, Mercedes were at some point known as "old man's car" and these people don't care about the driving engagement, that is what BMW is for, (well maybe except for AMG), manual transmissions are mostly seen as for enthusiast.

That said though, AMG never had manual transmissions (if you mention it to them, they will probably laugh about it) and manual transmission does get offered in some European countries in entry level MBs of the lower trim, as standard but even then they have been phasing them out. I guess it is either cost cutting or the market is just not there for it to be worth while for Mercedes.

Back in 2020 according to this site: https://motor1.com/news/447725/merce...anual-gearbox/

Now confirmed back in 2022 also reported by this site: https://www.motor1.com/news/588442/m...anual-gearbox/
Old 01-05-2023, 08:17 PM

Received 169 Likes on 140 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Automatic transmissions are ****ing stupid.