Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Persistent P0638 / 0228, 1337 Codes Lean, Runs Rich

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport 2.5L
Persistent P0638 / 0228, 1337 Codes Lean, Runs Rich

Aloha,
I got this 07 c230 sport, 2.5L about 4 years ago with 43,000 miles. I drove it daily 20 to 150 miles per day. Other than the throttle seeming sluggish and wearing out 2 front ends the car ran without issue. At 96,000 miles the car sat, with only a few start ups ,for about 8 months. The battery died so I jumped it with a 50 amp booster charger. I got a dash full of lights and a very sick car. I got a Autel MS906BT and was able to diagnose and confirm that my intake manifold went to pieces. After replacing the battery and intake I was getting upstream o2 codes, Air Sensor codes, Throttle body codes and Alternator lin bus error.
I replaced the MAF and the car ran ruff but it did drive. I replaced the Upstream O2 sensors and cleared those codes. Still the (code 0228) M16/6 (Throttle valve actuator) : Throttle valve jamming (iced up) (P0638) ,not likely in Hawaii, and the (code 1337) Alternator serial interface persisted. The throttle body actuator test seem fine. I did not have a computer for my hantek lab scope so I replaced the throttle body and voltage regulator. The car started up a little ruff but soon smoothed out. I was able to clear all the codes. I made it about 1/4 mile when it started to stall. I limped home and had to restart it about 5 times. The scanner codes indicated misfire on one,two and three. Codes 1337 and 0228 came back as well. At this point I cleared all the codes except 1337 and 0228. Tracing the 1337 code, I back probed the alternator LIN bus ( photo ) The signal (1) does not look like the example on top (A1). But it is a signal. For the 0228 (Pin 1 is 4.97 volts grounded at pin 4) (Pin 2 is 5 volts grounded at pin 3) ( Pins 5 and 6 increase and decrease with throttle pedal and throttle plate movement. I cleaned the old throttle body and put it back on. I discovered that if I make a large vacuum leak, the car starts and idles ruff. The car is running as rich as it can. Once it was able to enter closed loop, the p2237 and p2240 came back. None of the lambda values change. I see 1v on both front and 450mv on both rears. The values do not change or fluctuate when the fuel system goes closed loop. All fuel trims are maxed out high. I think I fried the pcm.
Any help would be much appreciated. Lee