Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 300 sl problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300 SL
Cool 1991 300 sl problems

Problems with a 91 300 SL I am having a problem with the roll bar. I just bought this vehicle recently and the roll bar comes up during normal driving. I am also experiencing a studder when accelerating from a stop. Were these common problems for this model? Does any one have any idea what might cause these problems. Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-23-2002, 05:09 PM

The roll bar comes up when one of the switches that are mounted to the rear axle (forgive me if I do not use proper English) becomes loose from the axle (detection of roll-over). On these switches there is a screw to adjust it.
When you mean that it is a sort of vibration that you feel when accellerating than maybe you have ignition problems. E.g. a bad spark plug cap that causes misfirings when pushing the accelerator,...
Old 05-23-2002, 05:20 PM

1991 300 SL
Cool 1991 300 sl

Patrick thanks for the reply!
I will look for the switch you are talking about regarding the roll bar.
The car has been tuned up to address the acceleration problem, however that did not correct it. The car was previosly owned by my father in law and he states it has been that way for over 4 years and none on the MB techs can fix the problem. To describe it better from a dead stop I will hit the gas and nothing will happen for a split second, then the car will take off like a rocket. I think my father in law also tried to correct this problem by installing some kind of chip to increse the power, but that did not help. Any ideas. Thanks again!! JK
Old 07-23-2002, 01:32 PM

1991 300SL, 2002 E320
Here are the instructions for the switch adjustments:

A.Adjustment of Rear Axle Roll BAR Switches
1. Raise roll bar by using the switch on center console.

2. Turn ignition key to steering lock position O.

3. Raise vehicle on lift or with jack at the body mounting points so that both rear wheels are off the ground.

IMPORTANT! DO NOT LIFT VEHICLE ON ITS REAR AXLE CENTER PIECE, otherwise the geometry for the adjustment is incorrect! The rear suspension must be fully extended during test and adjustment work.

When using a jack, never get beneath vehicle while it is supported by the jack only. Always use proper stands to rest vehicle on.
Figure 1

4. Turn knob (1, Figure 1) to position "Arretiert" (locked) on both rear axle switches.

5. Loosen nut (2, Figure 1) on both rear axle switches.

6. Hold rear axle switch (S83/2, S83/3) by the rod and rotate it until its tip
(3) touches the surface of the plastic spring link cover (4) (Figure 1). This adjustment applies to both switches.

7. Tighten nut (2, Figure 1) on both rear axle switches to 4 + 0.5 N-m torque.

8. Turn knob (1, Figure 1) to position "Funktion" (operational) on both switches.

Copyright © 2002 ALLDATA LLC
Old 07-31-2002, 05:05 PM

1991 300 SL
91 SL

Chasbo thanks for the great post. I am still trying to figure out what is causing the vehicle to have such poor pick up from a stop. It is not just poor pick up it is dangerous . It seems to be the worst from a stop when it is hot and the A/C is running. This problem seems to be worse lately but i think it is because it is so hot here in FL in the summer I always have the A/C cooling. could there be a relation between the A/C and this problem. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks again in advance!!