Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL with no codes - frustration A-Class 2021

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 11:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A-Class 180 V177
CEL with no codes - frustration A-Class 2021

Just had an orange CEL pop up on my 2021 A180 W177. Nothing seems to be 'bad, wrong or otherwise different'. The annoying thing is that with all the telemetry and analysis systems on board nothing is shown on any of the many menu screens, nor in Mercedes Me App.

Service menu shows no messages, dealer menu shows no alerts or alarms.

I suspect that there may be a simple mis-fire on a cylinder or an evap. leak. Roadside assistance came, but just said they have no idea, and to book a service appointment - which will take at least 2 weeks.

That being said, is there any simple way to clear a CEL on an A-Class Mercedes without buying a reader? If the issue is a simple cylinder mis-fire or evap. leak then it should stay off, but chronic issues would pop it right back up again.

I'm just worried now that this is a transmission issue and it will turn to a red CEL and enable limp mode

Is there a TSB list available on the forums - I searched, but didn't find any.

Thanks for any help anyone has.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:17 PM

Received 396 Likes on 265 Posts
2021 S450 4Matic
Originally Posted by Ratskrad
Just had an orange CEL pop up on my 2021 A180 W177. Nothing seems to be 'bad, wrong or otherwise different'. The annoying thing is that with all the telemetry and analysis systems on board nothing is shown on any of the many menu screens, nor in Mercedes Me App.

Service menu shows no messages, dealer menu shows no alerts or alarms.

I suspect that there may be a simple mis-fire on a cylinder or an evap. leak. Roadside assistance came, but just said they have no idea, and to book a service appointment - which will take at least 2 weeks.

That being said, is there any simple way to clear a CEL on an A-Class Mercedes without buying a reader? If the issue is a simple cylinder mis-fire or evap. leak then it should stay off, but chronic issues would pop it right back up again.

I'm just worried now that this is a transmission issue and it will turn to a red CEL and enable limp mode

Is there a TSB list available on the forums - I searched, but didn't find any.

Thanks for any help anyone has.
I would probably keep it until 2 weeks later when you take the car to dealer to have them check it.
But, in the meantime, try removing the fuel cap and then put it back on *tightly* as a loose cap might cause the CEL to come up. This is the easiest fix.

Also, you might try going into the so-called 'hidden' menu to see if you can reset the CEL.
Here is how:-
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 06:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A-Class 180 V177
Great ideas. I assumed that the fuel cap being 'single click' wouldn't be the issue, but definitely worth wiping the rim and making sure there is no foreign material.

I didn't know about the hidden menu, I only knew the dealer menu - good to know

Thanks so much - I'll see if it disappears within these 2 weeks.