Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML 320 CDI
Engine noise

I have posted this in the W211 section as well.

My W211 E320 CDI is coming up for 2 yrs old soon and I still have a very annoying noise coming from the engine. The noise is almost like a small hole in the manifold would sound and you can only hear it under say half load with the window down. It basically has a ticking/blowing noise and has been to the dealers twice about this problem. MB UK have spoken to me and have told me it is compression noise from No.1 cylinder. You can hear the noise because they reckon the engine block is thinner at the front than anywhere else and this detonation noise escapes throught he block.

I am fairly sceptical about this and was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem. I have also heard through another forum that it may be down to the cats breaking down when they get hot which could make sense as it only makes the noise when the engine has warmed up.

Any help/advice appreciated.

Marcos
Old 10-25-2004, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If its coming from under the hood sounds to me as if it could be an exhaust manifold/gasket leak or, if its coming from under the car could be a cat or exhaust system leak.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500 Brabus
Engine Noise

I just had a similar problem solved on a CLK 500 2004 with the replacement of front engine mounts. Take a look at the Engine Noise thread on W209,