Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 W212 E430 - All Windows Roll Down and Sunroof Opens Randomly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2023, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W212 E430 - All Windows Roll Down and Sunroof Opens Randomly

Hello all, I need some help here! I'm a long time owner of several Benzes but this one has me stumped. I recently acquired a 2000 E430 4MATIC and it's been acting up, it drives and operates fine but it's when the car is off and locked. It will randomly roll down all of the windows and open the sunroof. Sometimes the car alarm goes off randomly too, but usually after rolling down all the windows + sunroof. I've tried several things based on the articles I've found here and around the internet. Here's what I've tried/know so far.
  • It's not the FOB feature that can roll down all of the windows. The battery can be out of the FOB or no where near the car and this still happens.
  • The Central Door Locking Vacuum Pump was replaced recently and I just had it reprogrammed by the dealership.
  • There is no water or drainage near any of the major electronics.
    • I've checked the cluster of wires under the door sill/floor on the passenger side and all looks normal.
    • I checked the fuse box under the rear seats, removed and cleaned all fuses and checked all connections.
  • I removed Fuse #15 which is supposed to be for SOS (E-Call)
    • I've heard that the SOS responders used to be able to roll down all the windows and open the sunroof remotely if no response was detected after pressing the SOS button.
    • The SOS button was pressed by my passenger several months ago. He pressed it while saying "THERE'S NO WAY THAT BUTTON DOES ANYTHING"
    • This button is no longer lit up after removing Fuse #15, however I've noticed it's dimly lit sometimes at night.
    • The dealership looked at the car and noticed that there was no VIN associated to the SOS service, the VIN was added. But this service is discontinued and supposedly not doing anything???
The only thing I haven't tried is unplugging the SOS button itself from the headliner. This is driving me mad and the car is useless other than driving to the gym and back because it can't be locked or parked anywhere. Here's the strangest bit, if the car is parked in my garage it's much less likely to roll down all windows + sunroof. When it's parked outside with direct view of the sky it's HIGHLY likely to roll down windows + sunroof within a few hours. I'm posting here to hopefully gain some masterful insight on a possible remedy for this issue. Any help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated and I'd be sure to document all steps here for future users.