Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 E430 ESP, ABS, BAS problem

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 AM
GAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E430 ESP, ABS, BAS problem

I have a 2000 E430 (59,000km) which every few weeks has been indicating a ABS, BAS, ESP malfunction. The malfunction code reads "faulty yaw rate sensor", which I have had replaced, and the wiring inspected and terminals cleaned at both the sensor and control unit ends, all to no effect. In all cases the message has come after the car has begun moving, though ever so slowly, as most have occurred as I have slowly crawled out of the garage into the back lane that leads to the street. The manoeuvre involves first full lock steering to the right and then full lock steering to the left as I negotiate the laneway, and then full lock steering to the left as I enter the street. Speed would be slow walking pace. Most times the message has come during or just after the turn to the right in exiting the garage. The last message came during or just after the left turn entering the street. The car has been cold except for this last message, when it had been run before and was warm. My mechanic now suspects the control unit. The brake light switch was also suspected at first but the error code is definitely naming the yaw rate sensor. Any other ideas please?
Old 11-13-2004, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Where do you take the car to get it serviced?
There is a DTB regarding a situation like this, you may want the dealer to take a look at it...
Old 11-13-2004, 10:53 AM

2000 S500
I have the same error coming up on my 200 S500 occasionally. Is DTB short for bulletin? Does that mean it is covered by MB or do I have to pay? Mine is beyond warranty.
Old 11-13-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mridr
I have the same error coming up on my 200 S500 occasionally. Is DTB short for bulletin? Does that mean it is covered by MB or do I have to pay? Mine is beyond warranty.
Dealer Technical Bulletin. No, if the car is out of warranty the repair cost is the owner's responsibility. The bulletin does not apply to the S-class.
Old 11-14-2004, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'01 E55
Originally Posted by GAP
I have a 2000 E430 (59,000km) which every few weeks has been indicating a ABS, BAS, ESP malfunction. The malfunction code reads "faulty yaw rate sensor", which I have had replaced, and the wiring inspected and terminals cleaned at both the sensor and control unit ends, all to no effect. In all cases the message has come after the car has begun moving, though ever so slowly, as most have occurred as I have slowly crawled out of the garage into the back lane that leads to the street. The manoeuvre involves first full lock steering to the right and then full lock steering to the left as I negotiate the laneway, and then full lock steering to the left as I enter the street. Speed would be slow walking pace. Most times the message has come during or just after the turn to the right in exiting the garage. The last message came during or just after the left turn entering the street. The car has been cold except for this last message, when it had been run before and was warm. My mechanic now suspects the control unit. The brake light switch was also suspected at first but the error code is definitely naming the yaw rate sensor. Any other ideas please?
There are absolutely no codes for the stop lamp switch? As you probably know, those are notorius for going out on the 210 chassis. It also sounds like you are doing a lot of steering when the warning message appears. Any problems with the steering angle sensor? If everything checks out ok then it probably is the control unit. But I can't be that sure without seeing the fault code readout.
Old 11-14-2004, 08:25 PM
GAP

ESP BAS ABS Fault

Definitely no brake light switch code -only yaw sensor code.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:54 AM

2000 E430 Sport
My 2000 w210 had a ESP, Traction control malfunction last week. It showed up when the car was cold I shut the car off and it went away hasn't showed up since.