Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine squeal and groan during acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine squeal and groan during acceleration

in my 1997 E320 sedan two distinct sounds can be noticed during acceleration. Firstly a squeal sounding like a belt sliping or a worn bearing screaming. it is a high pitched sound that occurs under slight to moderate pressure to the accelerator, this sound can be avoided by pressing the accelerator further than the angle at which this sound occurs, nevertheless the accelerator angle where this sound occurs is the level most suitable for smooth and efficient acceleration. the sound is most often encountered accelerating up a hill from a stop light or any general increasing speed (but especially when under a load i.e. hill). What is this sound, could it be a water pump, etc? also a groaning sound occurs before this level or accelerator pressure (very light pressure), this groan vibrates the whole car shaking the mirror and the seats, it is a fairly deep noise which can likewise be avoided by pressing the accelerator further than this region, this noise occurs primarily when cruising on flat roads. What do these sounds indicate? thank you for reading this long message and helping me, my mechanic says these sounds are "typical of that model mercedes,"
Old 11-16-2004, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Can't tell you what they are but I can say they are not typical of any Mercedes. I would get yourself a new mechanic