Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Round amber light on Speedo - What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 02:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
Round amber light on Speedo - What does it mean?

I posted this in the w202 forum the other day, but know one who knows the answer has replied...

"I have 97 c230. A small round amber light on my speedometer has come on. It is between the VDO and Miles lettering, offset to the right. I cannot find the meaning in the manual or in the forums. Does anyone know what it means?"

I went to the dealer today and asked a technician - and he had no idea what it was and he didn't even know there was a light on that part of the speedo. Rather than stop there he tried to make up some really lame explanation that was, well, and told me to ignore the light. Riiiiiiight....

Anyone know what the light means?

thx.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
09' E350, 01' Maxima SE, 93 Nissan Maxima SE, 1987 Nissan Maxima SE
I wonder the same thing, however mine doesn't light. I was looking over the manual and it didn't even say anything. Could it be something meaning the odometer not working???
Old 11-18-2004, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Could be wrong but from what I understand this light is part of the speed warning system that is available in some countries outside of the US. It comes on to alert you to speed in excess of what you had preset
Old 11-30-2004, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300, sport, black/black
I asked the dealer again what this was. They didn't know exactly, but the oldest mechanic there thought it might be a light which warns you when your speed exceeds the speed rating of the tires.

So, that's two fingers pointing to a speed related issue. If it was important I guess more people would know about it...