Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission slippage question on 04 SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 SL55 (sold),05 SL55, 09 SL63, 07 C2S cab Porsche,
Transmission slippage question on 04 SL55

Hello all,

i was hoping for some info on an interesting situation. About a month ago my transmission dumped some fluid and they replaced a part. About a week ago, I noticed some gear slippage in that the car would engage , slip then grab particularly in the lower gears. Anyway, I brought the car in to the dealer and they said i was about a pint low on ATF fluid.(it was never replaced after the leak) Anyway, the tranny continues to slip and I was wondering what might be causing it. The notoriously inept techs ( the same ones who couldn't balance the wheels or align the car previously) are apparantly unable to duplicate the obvious and continous problem. This requires me to go show them once again that there is a problem. What I could use is some info to go in there with on the potential possibilities that could be causing the problem.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300SL
I can't offer much help other than describing my recent development. My transmission started intermittently slipping and/or delayed in rear about 4 weeks after a full ATF change. I suspect synchros but only action my friendly dealer wants to take is replace the whole transmission for $6k. I suspect potentially the wrong ATF was used that boiled during a long trip with lots of shifting in the mountains. Dealer claims that this is impossible. Would like to know if anyone out there ever had similar experience.

Regards,
Old 11-20-2004, 10:32 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Xeron
Hello all,

i was hoping for some info on an interesting situation. About a month ago my transmission dumped some fluid and they replaced a part. About a week ago, I noticed some gear slippage in that the car would engage , slip then grab particularly in the lower gears. Anyway, I brought the car in to the dealer and they said i was about a pint low on ATF fluid.(it was never replaced after the leak) Anyway, the tranny continues to slip and I was wondering what might be causing it. The notoriously inept techs ( the same ones who couldn't balance the wheels or align the car previously) are apparantly unable to duplicate the obvious and continous problem. This requires me to go show them once again that there is a problem. What I could use is some info to go in there with on the potential possibilities that could be causing the problem.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.
Are you sure this is not the adaptive trans re-learning your driving style since the repair? Drive the car in a consistent manner either agressively or conservatively for the next 200 miles without varying your driving style. If it still slips, there could very well be a problem. Hope this helps.