Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 CLS550 4matic - Removing the vacuum pump?!?! to replace the oring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 06:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 Mercedes Benz CLS550
2012 CLS550 4matic - Removing the vacuum pump?!?! to replace the oring

Hello Forum,
I've got a leaking o-ring left side on the vacuum pump. Same exact o-ring on all 4 cam magnets... So WIS does not seem to have any instructions under the heading i'm looking at "vacuum pump" installation / removal would seem it.
Anyway, 3 bolts hold it to the valve cover - all 3 seemingly near impossible. Seems 1/4" adjustable head wrachet and i believe it's a 8 torq i believe can get the top left bolt. top right bolt probably the same.
Bottom bolt? i got the camera to it, so i have eyes on it...
Anyway it's a $1000 repair via the quote. o-ring is 20 bucks.
I'm not sure the vacuum lines even need removed.
2012 CLS550 4matic 4.7 twin turbo - i think that means 278
tips advice? Then to torque these it's 6nm then 90 degrees, which seems to be 1/2 rotation after hand tightened all the way in.
Otherwise i suppose i need to find a bicycle torque wrench as i can't even get anything 3/8ths between the pump and firewall.

Also disconnected the battery to change my plugs, ( lost a bolt, sat over night, negative terminal found it's way back to the post, so i'm assuming something sapped the battery dead over night.
had 4volts on it
slow charged it at 2 amps - disconnected from the vehicle - it's up to 10.5 now. I assume when i'm back over 12 the car will attempt to turn over.
Not sure what mayhem will arise as a result.
This thing is removing all my confidence as a everything that doesn't require a proper lift mechanic.
I have a Xentry so i'm not real worried about any codes needing retrainted.
Labor of love. Now it's bricked in the driveway with 8 brand new plugs.
Cabin filter, Break line bleed, vacuum pump o-ring - and she's 100% ( but again currently bricked in the driveway presumably off a drained battery )
Thing is charging - not fast enough i suppose. almost called AAA just to bring a jump pack.
good times.
thoughts?
and if anyone wants to educate me on which engine thread i should be posting please do.
WDD first 3 of the vin.
M278 is what i think it is, but that's not an option.