Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car dead, wont even jump start...

Old 11-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' E320
Car dead, wont even jump start...

Well, a couple days ago my 98 E320 made like it didn't want to start. -- Turn the key and nothing but a click. Take the key out, repeat, car starts, but sounds a little reluctant (starter turning a bit slower it seems)

Tonight, I take it home from work, stopped at the market, got back in and it does the same thing, only, the clock is reset and all the lights are dimming. I think, OK, probably the battery. I call AAA and they come out and eventually find the "hot spot" and ground and the lights now look full and "undimmed" But it wont start, just clicks. We found the battery behind the rear seat "!" and try jumping it from there, same thing.

Rather than towing it to the dealership or autozone, we towed it back to my house, a block away to deal with it tomorrow. He didn't have a flatbed and I didn't relish the idea of having this guy tow the car any long distance with it flopping around in back like that.

Can I buy a regular battery from autozone and try that? Should I go to the dealership and get the "Special Battery" from them? Or just call a flatbed and have it dropped off there?

The battery is original.

Thanks!
Josh
Old 11-24-2004, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
Your battery most likely has a severe internal short which will stop you from jump starting. Buy a new battery, best choice would be an MB dealer supplied battery
Old 11-24-2004, 11:54 AM

My 98 ML did the same thing. I called a local independent MB mechanic and he told me to call the road side assistance 1800 number. He said he would have to charge almost as much for a battery as they did and I would have to come pick it up and install it myself where as the roadside assistance would bring me the battery and install it. I was back on the road in a few hours with a new genuine MB battery.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:59 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Sure enough, the dealership told me the same thing, they came out, installed it (the heavy duty version he told me) for 120 bux.

Interestingly enough, now the car turns over, starts and then promptly quits unless I tap the gas just a bit, then it runs fine for the rest of the trip.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by TouringFan
Interestingly enough, now the car turns over, starts and then promptly quits unless I tap the gas just a bit, then it runs fine for the rest of the trip.
This may sound weird, but try this:

1) start with car off
2) insert key, turn to position 2 (do not start car)
3) leave car like this for 3-5 minutes
4) turn car off

Try starting it and see if it makes a difference.

-s-
Old 11-24-2004, 07:51 PM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Nope, left it in for over 5 minutes, didn't fix it. Also looks like the one-touch up and down on the left front window doesn't work as well now.

wierd!

Last edited by TouringFan; 11-25-2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TouringFan
Nope, left it in for over 5 minutes, didn't fix it. Also looks like the one-touch up and down on the left front window doesn't work as well now.

wierd!
To fix the power window you can read your manual or search the forum for procedure to synchronize (normalize) the window switches. There is a whole list of things to do when the battery gets disconnected, and it seems no one ever seems to go over all the procedures... it results in lost radio memory, inoperative one touch windows and sunroofs, and further on, lost adaptations in the engine management.

The best solution is to never disconnect the battery, and if absolutely necessary to disconnect it, hook a memory retention battery up before disconnecting the main battery.

-s-
Old 11-25-2004, 02:40 AM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Thanks for the heads up, a short search pulled the information for the windows up. I am so used to a honda with roll up windows and a stick shift this is all very very new to me.

For others who might not RTFM as well:
Close each window one at a time, and hold the switch beyond its auto-up detent position for 3-4 seconds after the window is closed, then release. This should reset the auto up function. This procedure can also be used to reset the auto down function... for windows, sunroofs, and power seats (if you got-em), because all these use the same memory module. If that doesn't work, you'll need to take a trip to the dealer for warranty repair. Let us know if this works.
___
Josh

Last edited by TouringFan; 11-25-2004 at 03:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2004, 03:49 AM
Almost a Member!

98' E320
Also it would appear that following your earlier instructions with more attention to detail (position 2) worked as well.....

Thank you for all your valuable help again.

__
Josh
Old 11-26-2004, 12:32 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
'05 E320CDI, 1987 300E, Vanagon Syncro, Turbo Arrow III
Originally Posted by scorchie
The best solution is to never disconnect the battery, and if absolutely necessary to disconnect it, hook a memory retention battery up before disconnecting the main battery.

-s-

Isn't that what the smaller battery under the hood is for? I was of the impression that it's purpose was to backup the main one.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pa28pilot
Isn't that what the smaller battery under the hood is for? I was of the impression that it's purpose was to backup the main one.
He has a W210... the dual battery is currently on the W211 and R230 (and will be on the W219 and is available from AMG for the W220), but they serve slightly different purposes. In any case, when replacing the main battery, it's a good idea to use the tool so the settings are retained.

-s-