Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bixenon lights dont self level anymore

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
Bixenon lights dont self level anymore

I have th OEM bi xenon light package and I took my car to the dealer to get some warranty things taken care of. I had a squeek in the suspension, and a busted door lock. They replaced the power sterring resevoir to fix the squeek They also replaced my engine mounts because I complained of vibration (vibration is still there though). So when I get the car back and drive it at night, I notice that the beams are pointed down, and I cant see 10' past the front of my car. Also, when first starting up, the range of movement was significantly less than before.

I remember reading that the sensors for the leveling feature are on the swaybar, and that was removed to get to the engine mounts. I thought that by doing that, somehow the calibration was off.

I take it back to the dealer today. Service advisor tells me the sway bars have nothing to do with the lights. So when I pick the car up, the lights are pointed up more. BUT: The drivers side is pointed higher than the passenger side, and the lights no longer move when the car is started. I've left a message for the service advisor, and Im waiting to hear back from him. Any ideas what the heck is wrong??
Old 12-02-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Yes, most probably your auto levelling sensor in the front has been reinstalled incorrectly making the car thing that the back end of your car is lower than the front end thus pointing the lights down. Go back to the dealer and have them realign the sensor in front.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:55 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Take it to another dealer, or insist that your car gets worked on by another tech who knows what the hell he is doing. I get frustrated by the lack of knowledge some techs have, along with thier uncaring attitudes. It is entirely possible the sensor was disturbed and incorrectly mounted or adjusted, or damaged.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I might just take it to another dealer. When he told me that the tech said "the sway bars have nothing to do with the leveling function" sort of got me wondering.

I might just leave it until I lower my car since the light might need to be readjusted anyway. Or screw it, make them do it again later
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 AM

07' ML350
psk145

please post a FIX for this problem, i have this problem too...and as i have posted before, i must fix this my self since i have no dealer around here. thanks!!!!
Old 12-09-2004, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
unfortunately for you bruno, my "fix" will be taking it to the dealer again. Sunman had some good advice on your other thread. If I had know that earlier, I would have done that instead of taking it back to the dealer for them to mess them up more.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:16 PM

07' ML350
well....incase your dealer can do it right this time, please post the solution here. i would greatly appreciate it.