Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got two problems.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2004 | 04:14 AM
Banned

SLK 55 AMG
I got two problems.

I just got the 2005 SLK 55 AMG

My speakers are kind of making funny noises. I have the bass all the way up and when I put the volume down I hear these scratching sounds. So then I put base down back to normal and I still hear a little bit of it.

I took the car out for a drive around. I come back an hour later and park the car in the garage. I start hearing drops of liquid hitting the pipes of the car. There is under 200 miles on the car. Is this bad already.
Old 12-05-2004 | 08:45 AM

1- could be the speakers, I have seen a few harmon kardons do this already in E classes.
2- prolly just water from the a/c system hitting the hot exhaust. Normal, don't worry, fugghettaboutit.
Old 12-05-2004 | 06:31 PM

98 C-230
i haven't ever had new speakers do that, cranking the bass all the way up and playing them beyond their limit will deform the voice coil, making pops and scratches as it goes in and out of the magnet. if it's got a paper voice coil it may straighten itself back out and be fine, play them at a moderate volume for a while, that's usualy a good idea with new high dollar speakers anyway from what iv'e heard, that's what the store i bought my klipsch home speakers said anyway. if that don't work your waranty may cover it? harmon kardon is usualy good stuff, but at the same time i don't doubt saturnsl's advice either, a buddy of mine bought some top of the line infinity (another brand made by HK) seperates that were crap right out of the box. manufacturing defects do happen, and as expensive and new as your car is, i bet the dealer that sold it to you would want to keep you happy.
Old 12-13-2004 | 04:59 AM
Almost a Member!

i ride a bicycle
hearing drops of liquid hitting the exhaust? this sounds pretty unlikely. i'd bet the noise is from the metal of the exhaust system or the catalysts making noise as they expland and contract when the car is warming up or cooling down.
about the speaker issue, that stuff is covered by warranty, just take it in to the dealer. there's not really anything you can do about it. i would guess it's an issue with the sound amplifier.
Old 12-13-2004 | 07:03 PM
CP1

SLK 55 AMG
I hear funny noises, too, when I tune to a comedy channel.
Old 12-13-2004 | 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=ninefourthree]hearing drops of liquid hitting the exhaust? this sounds pretty unlikely. i'd bet the noise is from the metal of the exhaust system or the catalysts making noise as they expland and contract when the car is warming up or cooling down.
QUOTE]
Guess you haven't been under many benzes lately. Many, if not all of them, have the exhaust routed in such a way that a/c condensate falls directly on the pipes. This has killed more than one oxygen sensor from being rained on constantly.......
Old 12-14-2004 | 04:17 AM
Almost a Member!

i ride a bicycle
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Guess you haven't been under many benzes lately. Many, if not all of them, have the exhaust routed in such a way that a/c condensate falls directly on the pipes. This has killed more than one oxygen sensor from being rained on constantly.......
yeah, well i actually spend a good part of my day under late model benzes. it's how i earn my living. most of the cars that i see have the evaporator drain tubes emptying onto either side of the transmission case. examples are: 220s, 211s, 203s, 209s, 230s, 215s, etc.
anyway, although there may be some "a/c condensate" (a.k.a. water) coming in contact with the exhaust system, i would be willing to bet that it's not making any kind of noticeable noise.