Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hands Free telephone system

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2001, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK 55 AMG Coupe
Hands Free telephone system

What problems, if any, will I have if I buy the Nokia phone support electronics & cradle etc. in Europe to connect my Nokia 6162 phone to the 2001 CLK.

Th European boarders have the parts list identified so it seems the only issue would be the electronic signal issue. Any idea if this is insurmountable?
Old 12-03-2001, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi.

The software interface between COMAND and the PhoneSupportElectronics is a standard defined by a third party (along with the physical interface for the D2B optical fibre ring), and i beleive the loom installed in the car is identical between Europe and US (looking at the circuit diagrams)

So, I have no doubt that you could install all the European parts, and it would work with a European handset - however, as you know Europe does GSM on 900/1800Mhz, and US on 1900Mhz.

One of the parts "The E-Net compensator", would therefore need to be changed to a US 1900Mhz part (which should be orderable from your US dealer), and basically is a low-power aerial amplifier with aerial-in, aerial-out, +, gnd and "turn-on" signals.

The other, much more significant question, is does the European Nokia PhoneSupportElectronics (PSE) work with the US 6162 handset ?

If someone sends me (in the UK) a 6162 handset, I will try it and see that it finds the phone. downloads the phone book etc.

I posted the European part list some time ago, will dig it out again if you want

Regards, Richard