Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intrested in becoming a MB tech. I need pointers.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intrested in becoming a MB tech. I need pointers.

I have been into automotive for quite some time now but my problem was that never have taken the chance to become a tech. Now, at 24 yrs old I want to make a change, I just do not want to work on domestics, I want to work on quality vehicles...so MB is of course my first thought. What I was wondering is if some of you had any pointers for me. All info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2004, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by RGB8680
I have been into automotive for quite some time now but my problem was that never have taken the chance to become a tech. Now, at 24 yrs old I want to make a change, I just do not want to work on domestics, I want to work on quality vehicles...so MB is of course my first thought. What I was wondering is if some of you had any pointers for me. All info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
What Background do you have re working on cars...Autoshop in High school?
Trade school?..Most dealers want some basic background for them to hire you as a Trainee.. Then The dealer will have you work under a Tech for a Year or More..Then Put You on the Line as a Tech...Also Be ready to Spend THOUSANDS on Tools...A lot of Mercedes only workshop tools. I had over 60k in tools...So Be ready to spend!
Old 12-22-2004, 04:24 PM

Well right now I no formal training, just experience from working on my own and friends import sport compacts. What I want to accomplish is getting lucky and getting in as a trainee and get sent through whatever courses they want me to go to.

So far, i've tried to go for a service advisor position on careerbuilder.com and went through the online training last night and got tired and made a mistake on the second to last test and was quickly told that I missed a question or two and not allowed to become a elite service advisor. So close but yet so far away I guess.

At this rate it looks like my only way to get in the field is to work on good ol' gm and ford
Old 12-22-2004, 06:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
My dealer DOES NOT hire anyone without mercedes specific training or previous mercedes experience. The mistakes made in trying to train a new tech are just too expensive.
I attended UTI at the houston tx campus and graduated #1 in my class, I was a shoe in for the mercedes elite training, and went to school for 4 months in orlando fl. From there I was hired at my dealer, and have been there ever since. School is probably your best bet at getting in with benz, or any other high line make. It will probably be easy for you to do well in school because of your previous knowledge.
I never intended to work for MB, but found out quickly that there is no money in domestics. Even MB has made huge cuts since I have been on board.
I will not sugar coat the situation, it has its good days and its bad days. Advanced technology can really kick your ***, even if the solution turns out to be really simple. You can expect to make more money IF YOU APPLY YOURSELF. Too many elite grads think it will be handed to them on a platter, and are stuck collecting guaranteed salaries, or meager paychecks because they put forth no effort. The money is there if you earn it. PM me for more info.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:39 AM

Priors: '63 300SE, '68 200, '76 6.9
Good points. As big a shortage as there is for skilled technicians industry-wide, dealers are only going to choose the very best possible candidates, and even that's a gamble as just mentioned.

UTI is an excellent way in but it's expensive. I would also suggest getting certified, such as ASE. They're recognized throughout the US and some states require ASE certs to be able to work on cars. Having ASE certs is certainly no guarantee that you actually know what you're doing, but it (generally) does a decent job of separating the talkers from the doers.

Let's say you run an ad for one technician position opening at your shop and 100 candidates show up at your door: if you don't have specific references, the first thing I'd do is ask how many are ASE certified. That'll eliminate probably 80 - 90% right off the bat. Now ask how many are Master ASE certified. The very small handful that are left is likely all who you would interview.

Of course there are exceptions, but as a businessperson who may have little time to interview - it's a whole lot easier checking out 5 or 8 applicants than 100. What I'm trying to illustrate here is if you have no credentials or training certificates at all, chances are very good you are simply going to be ignored.

A few years ago, I applied for, got interviewed, and hired as a tech trainer for a GM subsidiary. Once on board I noticed I was the only instructor in the nation who had not had prior manufacturer training or dealer experience. At the time I had 26 current ASE certifications, including triple ASE Masters (Auto, Truck, and Machinist) among other credentials. The training developer told me he couldn't ignore my resume - THAT"S how I got my foot in the door (see my point?). Just don't think credentials alone will hold you up btw. Some people make a point of very closely checking out ASE cert "overachievers", so make sure you can back it up with demonstrable knowledge and experience. Then they'll back off and accept you.

I knew my game and I had no problem getting work within my niche, but outside of that network I just didn't have much to show for it until I decided to pursue getting credentials.

The most valuable ones (generally) are A6, A8, and L1. California EA smog licenses are worth their weight in gold in some cases. Employers in some states guarantee $50K with sign-on bonuses and moving expenses, no questions asked. Some states also automatically issue you their smog license with no exam.

Last edited by Hybrid2nr; 12-23-2004 at 01:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I feel UTI is one of the best "bang for the buck" programs available. To be able to walk in the door and make the kind of money I started with was a dream come true.
I must respectfully disagree on the ASE testing. I took a few of them myself, and find they have little or no application on the mercedes car line. I feel it is wrong to make someone study and learn a bunch of systems and details about cars you will never work on, just to call yourself certified. Mercedes certifications mean a lot to mercedes dealers, which is all I have planned to work for anyways. Sure its a feather in your hat if you wish to jump around car lines or independents, but for someone dedicated to mercedes only, ASE is basically useless. If they ever decide to change, I might jump on board.
Real world experience is by far the biggest qualifier for an automotive position.
Going to school is the easiest way to learn the ropes, you gotta start somewhere, so you might as well have some knowledge in you before diving in.