Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

350SD, oil consumption worsens

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
350SD, oil consumption worsens

I own a '91 350SD with 286K miles on the clock. For those that don't know, I have been monitoring oil consumption tendencies from over 1 year ago in August. From there, consumption was 1500 miles per qt. on average. Consumption has steadily increased, and the last fill noted the 250 mile per qt marker. I have no idea what's going on. Could valve seals be out of the question for cylinder #1?

Here is a comparison.

One soundclip is in normal speed. Comparing a 3.0 liter OM603(not mine) that needs a new set of injectors to my 3.5 liter(2nd half of sound bite).

http://www.ejzcars.com/350soundnorm.wav

The next soundclip is 50% the speed of normalcy. I suppose it would help to isolate the sounds of the engine.

http://www.ejzcars.com/350sound.wav

The car is starting to blow oil smoke embarrassingly heavy right now. Just happened as of today. Any speeds below 2K rpm cause it to smoke excessively. At an extended idle, upon taking off, the vehicle behind me is engulfed in the blueish, foul smelling haze. At the very least, on the optimistic side, I don't have any tailgaters anymore. However, there are no noises from the engine. Except excessive injector knock from cylinder #1. It looks like <100 miles per qt. if this keeps up.

Should I be concerned?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I would be concerned. Get it checked out. Engine noises won't tell you why its using oil. You need a compression test, and cylinder leakage test to determine if the engine is mechanically sound. Turbos will leak oil to the engine also.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saturnstyl
I would be concerned. Get it checked out. Engine noises won't tell you why its using oil. You need a compression test, and cylinder leakage test to determine if the engine is mechanically sound. Turbos will leak oil to the engine also.
The turbo is bone dry last time I checked(1 week ago).

It has been reluctant to start in temps less than 15 degrees fahrenheit. Last year, it would start 10 degrees below zero. I suppose that might substitute as a compression test?[]

However, with so much oil built up inside, could that have affected the starting? Sometimes the started locked while cranking....ughh but when it cranked, the engine refused to fire(I glowed it thrice). Temp was 13 degrees, it had been as low as -2 the night before. Took my trusty SDL with 280K miles to class that day.