Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help: W208 brake question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help: W208 brake question

I need some help guys. I have a 98 CLK320 and I followed the instructions from mercedesshop.com about the DIY brake pad change (instructions were for a W210) but can't seem to figure something out.

I'm trying to change the front brakes but don't know how to remove the pads. The instructions say I need to pop out 2 retaining pins but I can't find them. I don't think the CLK has them.

Can anyone please tell me what to remove so I can have access to the brake pads? I think I saw 1 torx type bolt but I'm not sure if that's correct or what the size is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also read from somewhere that there are a total of 3 bolts I need to remove to have access to the pads.

Thanks in advance.
J
Old 01-05-2005, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by QB320
I need some help guys. I have a 98 CLK320 and I followed the instructions from mercedesshop.com about the DIY brake pad change (instructions were for a W210) but can't seem to figure something out.

I'm trying to change the front brakes but don't know how to remove the pads. The instructions say I need to pop out 2 retaining pins but I can't find them. I don't think the CLK has them.

Can anyone please tell me what to remove so I can have access to the brake pads? I think I saw 1 torx type bolt but I'm not sure if that's correct or what the size is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also read from somewhere that there are a total of 3 bolts I need to remove to have access to the pads.

Thanks in advance.
J
With brakes on a Mercedes, you need to have some basic understanding of how the brake system works because you can never be quite sure what you'll find when you look at a car. Mercedes changes brake systems A LOT (in mid-year several times in some cases) so often you need to have the VIN just to know what's there.

The instructions you followed for a W210 may be completely different than what's on your car.

If your car is a US-spec W208, it is likely that you have a floating caliper front piston. To remove the pads on this, you first remove the spring wire from the outside of the caliper. Then remove two pins from inboard, these probably have a plastic cover over the head, which is probably an allen screw. After that is done, the pads can be backed off using a c-clamp or your hands, and lift the whole caliper off the bracket. Then the pads can be removed and replaced.

The floating calipers generally are more difficult to replace pads than the fixed calipers, but not terribly so.

-s-
Old 01-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Almost a Member!

Scorchie,

Wow...that was a very quick response. Thank you very much for all your help. Come to think of it, I did see two rubber tubes (these are probably the covers you mentioned). You wouldn't happen to know the size of these allen screws, would you?

Thanks again.
J
Old 01-05-2005, 01:30 PM

Brakes

I would like to add that the Allenhead bolts are a size 7 MM. Make sure you are using the correct tool or else you might strip the head of the bolt, not a good thing!!!!!!! Also when you press the piston back in, use your old brake pad to protect the piston, while pushing it back in.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Almost a Member!

EB,

Thanks for the info. I have a 7mm allen wrench that should do the trick. Do you think I need one that has a 3/8" drive that attaches to a socket wrench? Do the bolts have locktite?

Thanks.
J
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 PM

Brakes

I prefer to use a 3/8 drive with a 7MM Allenhead socket. What your using would probably work if you could yoke up on it enough to get some leverage. You would have a much better feel I think when your ready to screw it all back in, if you use a 3/8 drive. Remember to turn counterclockwise to remove. Normally their is not any loctite on the bolts unless someone pasted some on. I would not be concerned about that. Just place your pads in and screw everything back down.