Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty Help Needed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 500
Extended Warranty Help Needed...

Has anyone used Warrantydirect.com to purchase their extended warranty? Apparently, they are the only "internet" warranty company where you can buy an extended warranty from if you are a resident of CA. (I have confirmed this with CA Dept of Insurance)

For my 02 CLK 320 w/ 27K, and for 5yr/100k warranty they are asking for $2,300-2,500, with 0 or $100 deductible, respectively. A local MB dealership offered me 5yr/100k for $3,385 w/ $200 deductible

Thanks in advance for your feedback and help!!!

See below for warrantydirect.com details. Let me know what you think.

Their California MBI plan seems pretty good and it is an exclusionary warranty. Please see the details below on the exclusions list:
California MBI coverage statement:

We will pay the licensed repair facility of your choice for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any part of your vehicle where a failure has occurred, except for those items listed in the exclusions section.

Exclusions:

Carburetor; battery; shock absorbers; manual transmission clutch assembly; friction clutch disc and pressure plate; throw out bearing; manual and hydraulic linkages; distributor cap and rotor; safety restraint systems; glass; lenses; sealed beams; light bulbs; brake rotors and drums; exhaust and emission systems; weather strips; trim; moldings; bright metal; chrome; upholstery and carpet; paint; outside ornamentation; bumpers; body sheet metal and panels; tires; wheels/rims; GPS navigation systems; phone systems and TV/video/entertainment systems.

Maintenance services and parts described in your vehicle's owner's manual as supplied by the manufacturer. (i.e. oil changes, tune-ups, brake pads, belts, hoses and spark plugs)
Old 01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes I have the Warranty Direct extended warranty and have had to use it once already. The only problem was they balked at the high price charged by the local M-B dealer for the O2 sensor and Mass air flow sensor replacement when the check engine light came on. Can't say that I blame them, it ended up over $600. I opted for the emmision devices warranty option that is offered. Ended up paying the $100 deductible + $150.
Next time I'm going to the local independent M-B shop, the rates are more in line of what they should be.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM

W220
I have a WarrantyDirect for my MY01 S500 AMG.
For now I only had a few warranty repairs (when my car was still under mfg warranty) and WarrantyDirect promptly paid car rental reimbursement.
Didn't have any actual repair claims yet but probably will take my car to the shop for a couple of minor things and we'll see how WarrantyDirect reacts.
Other than that my research for extended warranty ended up choosing WarrantyDirect
Old 01-13-2005, 10:26 PM

1995 SL 320
Warranty Direct

I looked into warranty Direct on my 95 SL320 and decided against buying it.They wanted around $2500 for 24 months.You had to drive 1000 miles before it took effect.They figure if the car can go 1000 miles on its own,then the engine,transmission,rear end,ect are most likely ok.The big ticket items.Most Mercedes owners faithfully change their fluids at their own expense,so the odds are in favor of the warranty company.That is why I did not sign up.I figured that with proper maintenance,the chances of me getting hit with a $3000 repair bill with 24 months was not very great.Plus like one reader stated,the real test is wat happens when you do have a $2000 head gasket repair? Will Warranty Direct just cough up the money,or will they balk at the $100/Hr dealer labor rates? Then there is the infamous escape clause..did you stop driving the car immediately and pull over at the first sign of trouble and can you prove it? Is all of the sunsequent heat damage covered also? I just feel that it is better to spend the $2500 on routine maintenance and a few repairs,than to pay it out up front for possible repairs in the future.Now if they charged $1000 for 24 months coverage then maybe I would bite.But $2500-$3000 is just a bit too much for a well cared for automobile.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:32 AM

CLK 500
For my '02 CLK 320 w/ 27K, and for 5yr/100k warranty they are asking for $2,300-2,500, with 0 or $100 deductible, respectively. This is a pretty good price as it is covering my car for another 5 years or 100K miles. My car has a history of electrical problems and I would opt not to pay for these out of pocket.

The main concerns are longevity of the warranty company, claim resolution, and coverage. The exclusions list I displayed earlier seems very good as the MB dealership's warranty (they use a third party) was not as good, plus I would have to pay a $200 deductible. A $100 deductible was marked up like crazy and a $0 deductible was almost double!

Who is everyone else using?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:40 PM

1995 SL 320
The warranty companies and fees

If you sign up for a $200 deductible remember that the $200 at each visit is added to your cost.So let's say that you have 2 repairs per year x 5 years.That is $2000.Add that to the $2500 you paid up front and you actually are paying $4500 for the coverage.Over 5 years there is a chance you will meet that in repairs.But if you take excellent care of your car,I don't think you will reach that figure.I guess it depends on mileage also.If you are covered for the last 2 years and have 75000 plus miles,then yes it is a good deal,you will have repairs.You are correct in being concerned about the stability of the warranty company.As we know what happened to Warranty Gold recently here in Texas.Those policy holders were not a happy group.Not a good day for them! I am not sure if there is any warranty company in the marketplace that is a 100% lock. Some have their headquarters outside of the State that you are in or outside the State in which their corporation was chartered ,or even outside the USA.It makes it very difficult to legally go after the company in case of fraud. bankruptcy,or refusal to pay claims.The BBB only has records for the last 3 years on their members and some of them have complaints on file,so it is strickly a gamble.Buying from the dealer is no guarantee either,although most dealers will work with you since their reputation is at risk.So good luck and I hope your choice works out.

Last edited by sl3204me; 01-16-2005 at 05:50 PM.