Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the Forum/ Kilma & OVP RELAY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to the Forum/ Kilma & OVP RELAY

Good afternoon, I hope someone can help me. I have a 1996 E320 which several items stop working. Can anyone tell me if this vehicle has a Over Voltage Telay and a Kilma Relay?

If it does can you describe the location?

Thanks in advance

Norman
Old 01-20-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Neither. It does have a base module which is similar to the OVP. Can we get a better discription of your vehicle's problem?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 PM

Wink

Thanks for your reply,

The vehicle's A/C, Speedometer, and cruise control + the check engine light + Check Engine electronics message came on all at once, also retreived all codes P1335, P0505 (Idle Speed Control), and P0134 (O2 sensor), but the vehicle's engine ran perfectly.

So I took the Vehicle to the dealer, and their estimate was for $2,800 the fix the following Items:

Replave broken A/C hose.
A/C dryer.
Replace instrument cluster.
Replace Alternator.
Replace Battery
Engine belt.

Ofcourse I did not leave the vehicle at the dealer for them to repair it. As it turns out and after 4 weeks of research and testing electric components, I decided an hour ago to remove the instrument cluster due to the tachometer was not working and to my surprise once I disconected the Cluster from the vehicle(1996 E320) the A/C started working perfectly.

It seems that the A/C module uses the tachometer as a reference so it knows that the engine is running, like the KILMA relay. I would not be surprised if the rest of the problems and codes go away after I have the instrument cluster repaired.

Perhaps someone out there needs this information. Pass it along

Where is this base module that you are refering to??

Thanks in advance

Norman
Old 01-21-2005, 09:24 PM

Problem Solved, Not Ovp Or Kilma. Good Info

Thanks for your reply,

The vehicle's A/C, Speedometer, and cruise control + the check engine light + Check Engine electronics message came on all at once, also retreived all codes P1335, P0505 (Idle Speed Control), and P0134 (O2 sensor), but the vehicle's engine ran perfectly.

So I took the Vehicle to the dealer, and their estimate was for $2,800 the fix the following Items:

Replave broken A/C hose.
A/C dryer.
Replace instrument cluster.
Replace Alternator.
Replace Battery
Engine belt.

Ofcourse I did not leave the vehicle at the dealer for them to repair it. As it turns out and after 4 weeks of research and testing electric components, I decided an hour ago to remove the instrument cluster due to the tachometer was not working and to my surprise once I disconected the Cluster from the vehicle(1996 E320) the A/C started working perfectly.

It seems that the A/C module uses the tachometer as a reference so it knows that the engine is running, like the KILMA relay. I would not be surprised if the rest of the problems and codes go away after I have the instrument cluster repaired.

Perhaps someone out there needs this information. Pass it along

Where is this base module that you are refering to??

Thanks in advance

Norman
Old 02-20-2005, 09:36 PM

1995 SL 320
Instrument cluster

It seems that everything on the SL320 is tied into the instrument cluster.If I had to do it all over again I would have sent in my cluster for repair before I did anything else.I have had a number of people tell me to send it to Beckmann Technologies in Durham, NC.They will repair your SL cluster for $599.A new one for the 1995 SL320 goes for $1080 at the dealer and $850 for a rebuilt one at the dealer.So $599 seems to be reasonable.