Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Washer fluid leak - ML55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'02 ML55, '02 Porsche 911 GT2 EVO 750, '04 Subaru STi HarmanMotive Stage IV, 2005 Honda Repsol CBR
Washer fluid leak - ML55

Need help - couldn't see the source looking from the top and underneath. Do I need to remove the headlight assembly? I disconnected the motor for the headlamp washers and still the same thing. The fluid is leaking right in front of the left front tire - looses about 1/2 the coolant capacity in about 2 weeks. Thanks.

By the way, thanks for the link on the coolant leak - I ordered a set of upper and lower hoses (leak in lower hose). Truck has 73k miles on it now.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:02 AM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
doesn't the washer tank come out fairly easily? I would think probably just a cracked hose or poor connection down under?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' W164
Originally Posted by Chevota
doesn't the washer tank come out fairly easily? I would think probably just a cracked hose or poor connection down under?
I am almost certain the problem you are having is due to a leak in the washer bottle itself, I see at least one or two of theese a week.
A word of caution...the ESP/ABS control unit is directly below the washer bottle...I would not recommend letting the bottle continue to leak onto it.
There are two different size washer bottles. The older (smaller) style is easy to remove, one 10mm, 2 electrical connectors, and 2 hoses. Then the washer bottle can be lifted out. All replacement bottles are the large type no matter what you had before. To install the larger replacemnt bottle the connections are all the same...but due to the size, it typically requires that you partially remove/dissasemble the fuse box that is right behind the bottle . I've seen people cram the new bottle in without removing the fuse box, but more often than not you will end up with two leaking bottles rather than one. MBZ Labor time is 1.5hrs to replace this washer bottle. Hope this helps.

P.s. some of the newer large bottles have a 3rd electrical connector for the fluid level sender, and a plastic tab that secures the bottle on the LF inner fender

Last edited by FlatRate101; 03-01-2005 at 02:20 AM.