Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Question about shocks

Well, my car has been lowered (H&R springs & Blistein sport shocks) for over 50K miles and now has about 60K.

How do I know if my shocks are going bad? How many miles should I expect to get out of them? Will the ride height be effected by bad shocks?
Old 02-16-2005, 11:57 PM

Received 177 Likes on 150 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Bilstein are guaranteed for life I believe. (I'm tired and can't remember right now).
Something like 2% degredation in performance in 100,000 miles. Compare that to a generic shock!
So I guess if "sport" shocks are 20% stiffer than oem, they should last?? I'll let you do the math.
The ways they can go bad are:
Leaking fluid (obvious to spot).
Bent or other obvious physical external damage.
Freakishly rare internal breakage.
Gas mixing with the oil internally.
My original benz shocks on my '99 were built exactly like Bilstein, a near perfect clone. Somehow the gas leaked into the oil and killed 'em. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the cast aluminum dividing piston between the gas and oil or it's O-ring had leaked. Both my front shocks were in equally bad shape so it wasn't a fluke.
The Bilstein does have some effect on ride height. It's pressure is ~300-360psi. That in a (12mm??) shaft gives it maybe 40lbs lift? Then the leverage the shock has on the car, the spring rate and it's leverage on the car, the weight on that wheel, and you will get how much it really lifts. Not much really... 1/8" maybe?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
Nice info, thanks! You know your stuff!

Well, one of my rears are squeeking, bt don't bounce. Does that mean it is going out?