Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do Mercedes Recalls & TSB's work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RJC,

I guess Alldata is really messing things up. You mentioned TSB #DDAF82-10-U-200SEP99. That AF stands for "Aktuele Fehlersuche", what means something like "most recent troubleshooting". But the following numbers point to a construction group, here 82 is electricity body (e.g. lights, wipers, hazard lights, radio... ). Then the following numbers point to a subgroup. 82-10 stands for lights (low beam, high beam, etc...).
I doubt this is the correct TSB number for something that should have something to do with the engine.
There are TSB's about rough idle but not for your type of car, engine,..., or they mention other symptoms (fault codes in memory).
I always have the latest information from the factories in Germany (also information that did not reach the US yet), but maybe Alldata knows more (ironic)?
I just cannot know if MBUSA has made a TSB especially for the USA.
I want to refer to a former reply:
Originally posted by patrick
Dear RJC,
As I mentioned before there are no TSB's for your type of car. But I cannot know if MBUSA has made one especially for the US only due to emission laws or whatever.
I would not say that there is nothing wrong because there are no fault codes in memory. Apart from reading fault codes, there are a lot of values that are interesting to examine. The ECU can make mixture leaner or richer just in one cylinder too, just to make the engine run smoother. These sort of corrections are called adaptation values and can also be seen with the Mercedes Star diagnosis computer. Do these values show anything interesting? Are all ignition values the same? Using the Star diagnosis computer you can also change mixture in a cylinder. E.g. you can make cylinder no. 5 richer to see if the engine runs smoother, maybe it is an injector that does not spray that well.
But is the engine mechanical allright? No leaking valves or whatever? If this all is allright, than it must be the motor mounts or something like that, not the engine itself.
Is it really sure that there are no fault codes in memory?
These engines memorise everything that makes the engine not turning so well. From the moment on that the combustion in one of the cylinders takes longer than other cylinders (bad ignition, bad spraying injector, mechanical problems,...) this cylinder will be turned off to prevent catalyst damage. If this has happened, even once and a month ago, a fault code will be in memory.
There are TSB's for these engines, but fault codes should be in memory and/or the engine warning light should be on.
Which gas do you use? Are there any modifications made (do not think this cannot be the reason)? Did the car have any accidents?
Patrick
I want to repeat that from the moment on that the combustion in one of the cylinders takes longer than in other cylinders (bad ignition,...) this cylinder will be turned off to prevent catalyst damage. If this has happened always a fault code will be in memory. Are you really sure that there are no fault codes in memory (do you have an outprint)? Are all values within specs (needs a skilled MB technician, understanding of the system and experience)?
About that side airbag recall, maybe your car is not on that recall list because VIN number does not match? You can always contact your dealer and ask him to check that airbag recall list to see if your car's VIN number is on it (for every recall all dealers get lists with VIN numbers).
...Recalls are often for certain VIN's. You will only receive a letter for a recall when your car is between certain VIN's. It is possible that Mercedes used an other brand of parts outside those VIN numbers and these do not need a recall...
I have tried to make some things clear, but forgive me if I made some language mistakes as I am not English speaking.
Patrick
Old 06-15-2002, 06:51 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
[QUOTE]Originally posted by patrick
[B]RJC,

I guess Alldata is really messing things up. You mentioned TSB #DDAF82-10-U-200SEP99. That AF stands for "Aktuele Fehlersuche", what means something like "most recent troubleshooting". But the following numbers point to a construction group, here 82 is electricity body (e.g. lights, wipers, hazard lights, radio... ). Then the following numbers point to a subgroup. 82-10 stands for lights (low beam, high beam, etc...).
I doubt this is the correct TSB number for something that should have something to do with the engine.

Thanks Patrick...you are right I did not line up the TSB # with the desciption. The right # is DDAF07_07-U-670SEP99, your comments are most appreciated. What do you make of the new TSB info.

Thanks, and your english is fine!

RJC
Old 06-22-2002, 07:57 AM

Dear RJC,

The only document that Alldata could refer to is one about the air mass flow sensor. The document concerns all models and mentions general engine problems, such as stalling while trying to accelerate, and more or less the things you mentioned: "...Engine Shakes Misses and Dies at Idle...".

There is also a TSB about possible humidity in the crankshaft sensor, but in my opinion this cannot make the engine just having rough idle without any fault codes. The problems we have already had with these sensors were not just at idle or the engine did not turn at all.

Patrick
Old 06-22-2002, 06:57 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dear RJC,

The only document that Alldata could refer to is one about the air mass flow sensor. The document concerns all models and mentions general engine problems, such as stalling while trying to accelerate, and more or less the things you mentioned: "...Engine Shakes Misses and Dies at Idle...".

There is also a TSB about possible humidity in the crankshaft sensor, but in my opinion this cannot make the engine just having rough idle without any fault codes. The problems we have already had with these sensors were not just at idle or the engine did not turn at all.

Patrick
Hi Patrick,

Got the car back from the dealer and they replaced the ME control unit...according to the dealer the TSB (which I provided a copy to them ) is in fact for an updated ME control unit for the model years 2000 and below as my 01 already came with it. They said the old control unit they replaced on my car was sending bad information affecting the mass air flow sensor. The car now idles better while in gear but still has a shake in park or neutral. I'm waiting for the service mgr to return from vacation to further the diagnosis.

RJC

Last edited by RJC; 06-22-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2002, 08:00 AM

RJC,

I do not know about ME control units that need to be replaced from cars made in 2000. But, as I already explained, this could be a "USA-fix" only, due to emission laws or whatever. There have been certain models who needed new ME control units, but this was earlier, just when the ME system was new (I guess on the 140-model).
Please let me know if your problem is fixed.
Just a question: do the emission laws in the US differ much from state to state? Is there something like a "periodic technical examination" where cars have to go to? If so, do they check the exhaust system from diesel cars too?

Patrick
Old 06-23-2002, 12:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

RJC,

I do not know about ME control units that need to be replaced from cars made in 2000. But, as I already explained, this could be a "USA-fix" only, due to emission laws or whatever. There have been certain models who needed new ME control units, but this was earlier, just when the ME system was new (I guess on the 140-model).
Please let me know if your problem is fixed.
Just a question: do the emission laws in the US differ much from state to state? Is there something like a "periodic technical examination" where cars have to go to? If so, do they check the exhaust system from diesel cars too?

Patrick
Patrick, Some states have emissions checks that are required and some don't. The ME control unit TSB is for certian cars made from 2000 and back and it is for an updated control unit which was already changed for the 2001 model year forward. Still cannot figure why my engine has this intermitent stumble at idle especially when out of gear as the engine will idle smoothly then shake/stumble a few times then idle smoothly etc. etc. One delaer said this is a normal characteristic for this model of engine??? I've owned 2 other clk 430's and I don't remember this.

Regards,

RJC

Last edited by RJC; 06-23-2002 at 02:39 PM.