Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FOR SALE: Rare 1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE coupe with gas engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2009 | 12:21 PM

W123 280CE
FOR SALE: Rare 1981 Mercedes-Benz 280CE coupe with gas engine

This rare Mercedes-Benz coupe has a gasoline engine instead of the more common diesel. Just 2,774 of them were made in 1981 – the last year the car was imported to the U.S. - and very few of them are still on the road after 28 years.

The car has had three owners. The original purchaser had it for just a year, barely putting any miles on it. The second had it for 25 years. It was his first car and he babied it beyond belief. He kept, and passed down to me, every single repair receipt during the ownership period. These will of course be given to the buyer. The last owner, me, has had it for 2½ years.

It has had regular services, been well taken care of and only driven about 30 miles a day during my time with it – all freeway driving (no stop-and-go traffic) – for a work commute. Its one major problem is the transmission. It has valve-body issues, shifts very softly and doesn't slip in gear once engaged.

It has just passed its smog test and is registered in California through February 2010.

My reason for selling it is that I already own two other vintage cars and can't continue storing that number of vehicles. The low asking price is so that this Merc can go to someone willing to continue maintaining this rare beauty.
It's been a great car, incredibly comfortable and fun to drive. It gets lots of looks too! Selling it is a very difficult thing for me to have to do.

Some specs:
2.8 liter DOHC Fuel-Injected 6-cylinder gasoline engine
- M110.988 engine - 142 hp SAE (US model), W123.053 chassis
Four-speed automatic transmission
Silver with blue MB-Tex interior and wood trim
Independent front and rear suspension
Four-wheel dual-circuit power-assisted disc brakes
Interior: Power Sunroof, Automatic Climate Control, Power Steering, Aftermarket 6-disc CD changer/ AM/FM Cassette Deck, Aftermarket Amp, Power Antenna, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Gas Cap Lock
Exterior: Aftermarket 16-inch aluminum wheels from the original era, European suspension (possibly AMG) – the car is about an inch lower than normal

The problems:
The transmission has valve-body issues and shifts very softly. It doesn't slip in gear once engaged. Likely, it will need to be rebuilt.
It needs new tires.
Air-conditioning does not work, though everything appears to be in working order. It might just need to be recharged. The heating is quite impressive though.

Check out my Auction for more detail and pictures of interior and exterior

Item Number: 320353392106

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320353392106