Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1974 450SL with rare color combination--lots of photos & reduced price...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'74 450 SL
1974 450SL with rare color combination--lots of photos & reduced price...

For sale is a Mercedes 450SL roadster (R107) built in January 1974. This is a very well preserved classic car with low mileage—on average it has been driven less than 5,000 miles per year—which has been stored indoors and driven only in warm weather for at least the past decade. The color combination of ivory exterior with dark blue tops and interior is rare. The retro look of this vehicle is accentuated by the two-tone color and the body-color hub caps, a Mercedes signature since the time of the original 300SLs. Please review the list of features and restoration/replacement work that has been done in the past few years. My investment in this car far exceeds the asking price. Please note that the under-hood work has been performed by an experienced MB mechanic who was factory trained on the 1974 450SL.

Features of this car include:
  • Power windows, door locks and antenna
  • Cruise control
  • Foot pedal wiper/washer control
  • Dark blue leather seats
  • Dark blue metallic hard top; dark blue canvas soft top
  • Matching MB-tex rear seat kit (can be removed to more stowage space)
  • NEW JVC Tuner/CD/MP3 player with removable face (installed 2006)
  • New stereo speakers (installed 2007)
  • Both volumes of MB factory chassis & body service manual
  • Eligible for classic or antique car registration & insurance

Recent mechanical work (since August 2006—all receipts available) has included:
  • New valve-cover gaskets, oilers
  • New master cylinder, brake rotors, pads, and soft lines
  • Replacement of various bushings, hoses
  • New battery, hood liner
  • + Much more totalling ~$8000

The car is running well and is driven regularly but not frequently. Pennsylvania inspection was just completed in April 2009; the car is roadworthy and ready for the warm season. There are some minor issues I feel should be disclosed to any potential buyer; these include some tears in the roof fabric of the soft top, a puncture in the hardtop head-liner which has been covered with a nice-looking MB patch, a small bubble under the paint on the front left fender, some minor trim cracks and the existence of a color-matched dashboard cover. The odometer has also stopped working. The current reading indicates ~109,000 miles, but I know that the actual mileage is probably closer to 130,000. I have owned this car for three years. The previous owner had it for ~9 years; when it was not being driven it was stored in a heated garage, under cover. Fitted car cover is included, as are Hawaiian-style seat covers shown in photos. A vintage Nardi classic wooden steering wheel is available (installed, with original wheel provided)for an additional $500--includes correct hub adapter and horn button with Mercedes star.

The car is not a former restoration project, but a very clean survivor. The engine and drive train run strong—there is plenty of power—and cosmetically the car looks far better than the majority of cars its age. Please feel free to contact me with questions, to arrange to see and drive the car, or to make a reasonable offer. I am selling this in order to purchase something with a manual transmission. The 450SL is a wonderful cruiser—the rear seats make it a great car for a couple with a small child or two—but I’m hankering for a smaller, lighter, sports car such as an SLK230 Sport with 5- or 6-speed.

Price: $13,500 obro. Please call 484.620.1566 or e-mail if interested.

Lots of new photos (taken 1 August) may be seen in a Fototime gallery by clicking here and choosing 'start slideshow'

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 08-01-2009 at 01:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-11-2009, 03:31 PM

'74 450 SL
bump

bump
Old 09-09-2009, 08:40 AM

'74 450 SL
Still available...will also consider as partial trade for SLk32.
Thanks for looking.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:55 AM

'74 450 SL
This car is dying to get out of the garage. Spring is coming...

Will also consider as partial trade for SLK32.
Thanks for looking.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:27 PM

'74 450 SL
Please buy me...

or make a good offer...I'm really keen on an SLK.
Cheers,
Brad