Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

Be CAREFUL When Buying Internet Used MB's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 4MATIC
Be CAREFUL When Buying Internet Used MB's

Hi All -
Just wanted to pass along soem good info I got from someone who recently bought a E550 online. And confirmed with a few others.

Alot of these internet vehicles have seriously messed up nav screens (usually previous owner had no idea how to properly clean - then scratched the living daylights out of it).

These internet cars always have the screens lit up (to show the nav works), but the screen is in terrible shape. You buy the car then they say you did it or it is easy to work the scratches out. In actuality it is impossible and can only be taken care of with a new unit. And the price is $$$thousands$$$. You cannot replace the screen itself. And it is such an eyesore. Will drive a normal MB owner nutz.

DON'T ever buy without seeing the car you are purchasing from top to bottom.

If you must buy online....get a detailed picture of the screen with adequate lighting, many directions, before making the leap. And a commitment from the dealer it is actually the screen from the car you are buying. Have witnesses their upon delivery of car to see it. Otherwise you'll end up with a $2500 bill for a new nav system. Same for these people "selling" their nav sytems. It is usually a turd. Or why would they sell?

Just some thoughts...

Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking into an 08 E350 with a COMAND system, and i didn't even think about this until now.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2009, 07:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
CLK55 AMG, SL55 AMG, C55 AMG
My buddy bought his MB online, and although he was able to review a number of detailed pictures of the car prior to purchase, the Nav screen was very scratched up and did not show in the pix. However, it was very noticeable when you looked at the cockpit in person. Yikes!

Good advice.

Sometimes the small things are the ones that get overlooked, but can bring the biggest surprises.

It took us two hours of careful cleaning with a very fine jewelry rouge to get it back to almost normal. Not what he was expecting when he bought the car.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Just want to say the other side of the story....

Bought a GL (CPO, though) sight unseen about 2 months ago... didn't have any issue w/ the screen. It looks perfect... just some dusts even though the dealer claimed it was detailed before shipment

But to be honest, there are couple blemishes that the dealer didn't mention even after I specifically asked... some rock chips whose size is bigger than what I consider "normal". Some deep scratches that have been touched up but were not filled (so you could still see the scratch). Hard water spots (once again, they claimed they had detailed the car). Some stains on the running board.

Didn't bother to put pressure on the dealer since it's not worth my time and frustration. Plus they could always say: "It's a used car... what can you expect?".

So... I'd agree w/ OP about being extra careful when buying the car sight unseen... There are some risks involved, not only about this LCD screen.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts
'06 E55
Great advice...Bought my first car sight unseen and regardless of how careful i was in my dealings and inquiries,the nav screen still had few blemishes not to mention,had to take the car back 3 friggen times in first 2 weeks to have the rear tires replaced.The tires were out of round and talk about the CPO ****..
Car dealers used or new,generally are all ****ers They are just a different breed of animals.