Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1972 280SE 4.5 sedan- one family owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1972 280SE 4.5
1972 280SE 4.5 sedan- one family owner

1972 Mercedes 280 SE 4.5
Call Jeff 941-350-1964. Asking $9500. Car is in Sarasota, FL.
Essentially this is a one family owned car from new.
Looking for a good home for our beloved family heirloom, my Grandmother’s original Mercedes sedan. She purchased this 280 from a doctor friend in New Jersey, when the car was less than one year old, my grandmother always garaged this car, and rarely drove it in the winter. For the last 15 years it has been in FL & California, always covered or garaged.
She has 113,000 miles indicated, odo has been intermittent for about 5 years. I would estimate less than 120k total.

I have every receipt, books, original window sticker, basically all records from new.

[IMG][/IMG]
Body:
The paint, glass, and brightwork on this car are really beautiful, in a way only an original car can be. Paint is 90% original, and is in very very nice condition. There are a few spots where the paint is rubbed through to primer, giving a nice patina that compliments the overall condition of the car. There are a couple very minor dents, again not noticable on this color. There are a couple of very small rust spots, though I repaired the worst spot a few years ago. I have resisted the urge to restore anything cosmetically on this car because it is only original once, and everything looks very complimentary.

Interior:
The dash is in beautiful original condition, shows very well. This car is equipped with a factory floor shift for the 3-speed auto transmission. The drivers seat is in need of recovering, and there are a few minor cracks in the rear seat. The driver’s seat headrest needs repair.. The headliner is hanging in there, but will need attention eventually. The package tray shows well. The carpets are nice originals.

Mechanicals:
4.5L V8 engine, 3-speed auto transmission.
The engine and transmission are in great condition: good compression, nice shift action.
The A/C blows ICE COLD! The car has 4 new Bilstein shocks & subframe bushings, and rides fantastic. The brakes are good and have no vibration. The steering box was rebuilt, but the shaft needs a new bushing to replace the dry, cracked one that allows some play in the wheel. It steered quite nicely before the bushing gave up the ghost. The car will need the radiator recored, for now I just keep it topped off. I would describe the car as a good “local driver”, as it is really a pleasure to crusie around town.

Other:
All lights & switches work. The sunroof motor works but will not retract. The power antenna needs replacing. The Becker radio truns on & the speakers work, but without the antenna there is no reception. It has a new hood pad, and the grille has been restored. The trunk looks like new with the original spare, tool kit, and other accessories. The fuel tank has been flushed & resealed, with new fuel hoses at the tank. Parts of the rear end have been rebuilt, I have receipts for everything. It has new, factory style battery cables. The tires are older Michelins with full tread.

Summary:
This is the kind of car you look for, if you like original, unmoletsed, accident free Mercedes. It is smooth and powerful, and drives more like a modern vehicle than a vintage one. It has shoulder belts, 4 wheel disc brakes, power brakes & steering. We have traveled many miles with our infant children safely strapped in to the back seat.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:51 PM

infiniti FX35
Very nice car! A true Classic! GLWS
Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 AM

1972 280SE 4.5
Thanks!