Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: 2004 E55, tectite gray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing yet
Yeah, about $7k damage to my wife's escape, $3k to my honda and about $10k to the house. Good times. I'm in South Knox along Chapman hwy.

I hadn't initially even looked into MBs until I ran across a low mileage E55 similar to yours that was on Autotrader over in Charlotte. After reading about the car even though they're autos, it seemed like something I'd really be interested in when the time comes. I didn't even know that these things had those HP/TQ numbers. I was floored.

I saw a C&D article from 2004 about the E55 AMG and I literally laughed out loud at the comment in the article that said the car had so much grunt that you didn't know if you were spinning the tires or if you were rotating the Earth beneath you.
To be honest, I'm not as versed on the MB lingo as I am with BMWs. I had been doing some heavy research on those cars, their quirks, common issues and common maintenance items.

So, I'll have to research the airmatic, etc...

I'd thought about a warranty. That's probably another serious contention with my wife. Her 06' Escape **** it's transmission at 116k miles. Just outside of the warranty, $3k for that. We were pissed. So, I understand her concerns.

I would never take any car to a dealer for service unless it was under a factory warranty. No way. Good to know about Eurohaus. I've heard good things as well.

Another question, any idea what kind of highway miles you're getting? I know around town with your foot in it its got to be low but curious about interstate type driving.

Like I said we're not in the market yet, but its deals like this that make me want to test the bounds of my marriage lol.

Appreciate the offer for a test drive, I'll definitely keep it in mind and I've got your #.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55, Supercharged Z4 (sold)
Originally Posted by broncobuddha
Like I said we're not in the market yet, but its deals like this that make me want to test the bounds of my marriage lol.
LMAO!!

Highway mpg is in the low 20's. I used to live in Seymour and I would get around 18-19mpg driving into Sevierville and that included the cold start and all that. I've averaged 15.7mpg over the last 32k miles.

I honestly don't put my foot in it much around town. Everyone once in a while I will but what I REALLY like is the torque. I think the average E55 makes around 450rwtq at around 2,500 rpms and the curve is flat for the next 2k. It makes my mom's 750LI feel like something is wrong with it because it has no go below 2,500rpms. I've had the ESP light come on at 2,000rpm in 2nd and I'm not talking about in the ice, rain or snow either. My previous car was a supercharged Z4 with a 3.46 diff. That had a lot of grunt as well for it's size. It's just addicitng and this thing has it in spades. No turbo lag either so it's got that immediate throttle response. It's not as strong in this hot humid crap but still a beast.

As far as lingo the CPS is the crank position sensor. SC clutch is the supercharger clutch. Because it's a electronically controled clutch it wears out just like the clutch on a manual transmission.

If you get curious or have any questions just let me know. Glad to find somebody local who is interested in these cars. I figued not to many people around here knew what they were. Would be cool to still have it in the area.

Luke
Old 07-15-2011, 10:23 AM

I'd like to point out something to potential buyers. Right now there are (46) 2004 E55's for sale on autotrader. Only 1, I repeat, 1 is priced lower then $19.5. It's priced at $19k but has 111,000 miles and the less desirable orangey wood interior.

The average 2004 on there has 65,850 miles and is priced at $26,320 and none of these cars are perfect with perhaps one or two exceptions. They're all used with all the potential problems but all the awesomeness of the E55.

So that said I hold my position that my price is more then fair especially when you consider the color, the bumper strips, heat exchanger and the fact that it's been enthusiast owned. I'm annoyingly **** about caring for my car.

Last edited by Luke_M; 07-15-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 AM

n/a
I have no doubt your car will sell VERY soon.

GLWS

Free bump!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM

Nothing yet
Low 20's I can live with. Thanks for all the info. I did a quick search on the airmatics and discovered that's basically an air ride sort of suspension?

I hear you on the torque. On the street that's what it's all about. And something to think about as I seem to recall you mentioning a single turbo'd supra. Careful. It's not just the numbers but the area under the curve.

There's a legitimate 1000hp supra running around town that couldn't run any better than 7.90s in the 1/8th at 411. Those things are pigs down low. There's a reason that supra owners never want to race from a dig. Always from a roll.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:02 PM

Dang! I ran an 8.2, 8.3 at 411 the one time I took it. And that was with a dead intercooler pump (which I obviously didn't know at the time) and street tires at normal tire pressures.

The single turbo'd supra is just a thought really. Just for the ridiculousness of it all.

Yes, the airmatic is an air suspension. You can change the suspension settings from comfort, sport 1 and then sport 2. Each setting stiffens the car up just a tad and also lowers and raises it about an inch in total. There is also a raise button that is just used for raising the car. Pretty neat stuff. The brakes are ridiculous for a sedan lol Check it out.
Attached Thumbnails FS: 2004 E55, tectite gray-snc00674.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Nothing yet
Crazy. 4 Piston Brembos front and rear right? Or are they 6 piston fronts?

Pretty cool about the tunable suspension. But like you were saying, they're more expensive than replacing regular shocks.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM

More expensive for sure but not terrible. I think robert at eurohaus charged me $500 for the rears, $399 was the going rate for arnott fronts with a lifetime warranty. No such luck for rears last time I looked into it.

Actually they're 8 piston, 14.2" fronts and 4 piston, 13" rears. The rears are bigger then the fronts on my sisters E36 race car lol The braking from 70-0 in a C&Driver article I have wasn't the best but I suspect the tires had a lot to do with that. I have the conti sport contact 3's in the rear and they flat out SUCK! In that test they used the conti sport contact 2's which I assume were no better.

Last edited by Luke_M; 07-15-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Nothing yet
8 piston calipers. Damn, I bet that hauls it in quick.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Yeah it sure does.

Just got back from Eurohaus. Car checks out great. Only thing it needs is a lower ball joint which are on order and will be replaced Monday/Tuesday.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM

The car has been looked over very thoroughly and is ready to go. With all issues except the very minor fender ding taken care of I'm raising the price up to $20k even. No low ballers please.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Interested in a trade for a highly modded S2000 with cash on top? Has Comptech supercharger, mugen tops and lots of other goodies. Car puts down 345 rwhp.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM

Sounds like a hell of a car but I have to pass. Looking for more of a business car. The honda fit is something I'm looking at now. It's ok, you can laugh
Old 07-25-2011, 03:18 PM

Sale pending
Old 07-31-2011, 06:05 PM

C32 AMG, E55 AMG (w211)
Sold! Awesome car. Lukes a great guy to deal with too
Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks Michael. I know you'll take good care of her. And thanks for fixing my phone. It works better then ever!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:00 PM

Currently searching
Congrats on the sale! Enjoy the new ride ... I'm still searching for one near me in NY. Can't find a no limit full warranty under $6500 so not sure its worth buying a high mileage E55 around $20-23k and saving the extra cash for repairs ... assuming it passes with a clean car fax and has been serviced no less than any other E55 with less miles.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:09 PM

Nothing yet
Awesome. Enjoy that car! Luke congrats on the sale!