Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1974 MB 450se- Tampa, Fl

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210 E320
1974 MB 450se- Tampa, Fl

Hey guys,

I'm posting my 1974 Mercedes 450 SE up for sale. It's in quite fantastic shape for its age. I got it about 8 months ago, and pretty much daily drove it, although I didn't drive it too much. It's got 150,XXX miles on it. It's equipped with the Mercedes M110 v8 engine, in the 4.5l fuel injected variant. It runs amazingly. I have quite a few of the service records from it's previous ower(s) and they serviced it regularly and meticulously. One of the common issues on these engines is the timing chain. This one was replaced recently, I just recently checked it and the rail guids and all were replaced, and it's in quite nice shape. It also has new exhaust manifold gaskets. The suspension is in nice shape and the car handles quite well, especially for how big it is. The brakes work very well. All in all it is mechanically sound. In all of the time I owned it, it always started and drove flawlessly for me.

The interior is also flawless. It's probably my favorite area of the car. I can't really describe it, you'll just have to see it in person, it looks great. The seats are flawless with no scratches or tears. The dash has no cracks, nothing. It has a sunroof that functions flawlessly. All of the power windows work great, except for the driver one. It goes down great, but when it's going back up, you have to push it with your hand. However, the A/C functions great, so you don't have to worry too much about the window.

The body- It's not perfect, but it's not bad. The paint is there, but need some TLC. Mercedes factory paint jobs are known to be very tough, and this one is no different. It only has two areas that have actual nicks, and there's also a couple of very very minor dings, but that's about it. I'd say the fading is about the worst on the hood, and just as a test, I used a bit of polishing compound on the hood, and the difference was quite noticeable. That being said, I only polished it for about 15 seconds. I'm confident that with a bit of elbow grease, the paint could be quite nice. I recently took off all of the chrome trim and cleaned thoroughly under it.

It does have two issue, some rust. The right side of the boot as a bit of rust through. I've checked under the support, and there's no rust there, so it could probably be treated with POR-15 and the few little holes could be filled. I've checked and the remaining metal seems quite strong. I also found some rust in the Sills/rockers. It's not the worst I've seen, after looking at some old post on here. I broke a hole in the exterior panel, about 2.5in, to see how it looked inside. It would probably be good to cut, clean and re-weld, but I also think if it were to be treated with POR-15, and filled, that wold work too. I checked thoroughly along the rest of the sill, but it seems like the rust is only in the front. It's really a great car, but it needs a bit more work then I have in me right now. It probably need some seals replaced, and the bit of rust worked out. Since finding those two spots, I went over every other known spot, and didn't find any further rust. It rarely got driven in the rain, and was garage kept. I have no welding abilities and don't know anyone who's good with bodywork. I just recently started a new job, and I need to try and get something more ready to go. There's quite a lot of w123 diesels around me, and I really want one of those. I know those aren't issue free, but I can at least get some better fuel economy from one of those, and they seem to have a bit more aftermarket support. Either way, It's time for me to move on from my w116, for now. Later on, I'd like to get another one, but now's not a good time for it.

I have some pictures here but these are from when I first bought it, I've cleaned it up a bit since then. Also, there's a tear in the seat in the picture, the material has been replaced and it is gone. The grill in the picture is faded and one of the strips is missing, however I refinished the grill, replaced the strips, and cleaned it up. I'll be sure to get some more updated pics up ASAP. It doesn't really look too different though. As some of you may know, I started working on recessing the US bumpers, to make them sit closer to the car. I did the front, but haven't done the back yet. The front can be easily undone, or if someone were to want, I could do the back bumper, and you could have the recessed bumpers.

I'm looking to get at least $2000 from it. That's what I paid for it, and most of the Mercedes guys thought I did well, so I feel like that's fair. I'm located in Tampa, Fl Btw, if the description sounds like it's for people who don't know anything about these cars, it's because I copied it from my craigslist page. lol

More pictures here...

1974 Mercedes 450se pictures by tony_heyer - Photobucket
Old 08-21-2011, 08:25 PM

W210 E320
So per the advice of a friend of my brother who has done a lot of metal work, I will be doing a 3 stage rust conversion treatment, and I will be filling the hole in the panel. While it's not the ideal solution of cutting the metal and fabricating a new panel, it will be the best and most effective non cutting solution that can be done. I will ensure I facilitate all the rust that is there. In the event that someone just wants to buy the car and enjoy it, this will be good. And if they ever want to tear into it, they can still cut the metal and replace it.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:04 PM

W210 E320
Have a sale pending, will update if that changes.